• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I find the key code?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I was installing a new hard drive for a freind using WD tools to copy the image to the new drive.I kept getting errors trying to boot the new drive.After several attempts it told me the OS was compressed.Not only was the copy compressed but so was the original! It had been 3.5 gigs and is now 2.6.I still have the original if anyone knows how to fix it,if not I am going to reinstall 2000 but he has lost his key code and I cannot locate it within the non working installation.(I know how as long as windows is running).

PLease help.

Tried everything as far as settings.Now that even the original is compressed it is probably useless to try and save it.I don't think MS would give out another key for a win 2000 installation,meybe for xp.

Yes.The drive will boot,but not with the OS copied on it.I can install win 2000 but with the original OS it boots with a hardware configuration error with either the old drive or new.I think that perhaps it added dynamic disk overlay on its own (and removed it) but I cant say for sure.All I know for sure is that all the files are compressed and will not boot correctly because of it.I can move the drive to my own computer and see everything.

Last edited:
I did try fixmbr .I also tried fixboot and ran chkdsk several times.Weird thing is , that I have a dvd backup of the drive and can install it on my computer ,but when I install that same drive on the other computer it reads it as half the size it was.I think it must be the way the bios reads the drive.It is an old computer and I don't think that it sees all of the cylynders or interperates them differently.Is it possible that it was a dynamic disk and that was what caused it?

There are a couple of programs that can pull your install keys from the registry. I can't think of what one would be called but you might be able to find something on google.

*Edit... here is a link to one. KeyFinder

I've used them on systems where the owner has no idea what the key was and I need to do a reinstall. I tested this one and it does in fact work.

*Edit #2... Here is a link to a way to get it from the command line if as in your case the windows install is toasted.

Link

Last edited:
Back