• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF installing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaTfOoD

Lets say I have 3 things, A mobo, a cpu and a heatsink. what do I need to hold the heatsink to the cpu. I know about thermal grease/glue, but am not quite sure about how it works. Is there usually also a clip on the mobo to hold the heatsink on? If you could explain the process step by step that would be great! :)

Yes, there is usually some kind of retention mechanism. Intels use a simple method of clips. AMD's use a slightly harder method.

With AMD's you make shure you have the HS correctly positioned, raised part of the socked over the recessed part of the HS, clip one side down (side with no place to put a screwdriver in) then on the side (which most of the time has a hole for a flat head screwdriver) you put the screwdriver into the hole, push down (making sure the other side doesn't pop back up) and then slightly put the screwdriver at an angle so the clip on the hs can go over the clip on the socket, then put the screwdriver on an angle inward towards the socket so that the clip can "Clip" itself on the socket.

As for intels, i only know how they work. Im an AMD guy, i havent built a comp using the newer intels with the clipping mechanisms.

If you need me to be more in dept, just say. Ill post pics if you want.

k6-2 is a simple clip. like socket A, only 1000 times easyer to put on. theres 2 nubblies on the sockey, and 2 holes(one on iether sude of the clip thats attatched to the HSF)

just make sure those nubblies are inside the holes, and its good. (i'm on a k6-2 right now)

enjoy!

(edit)
okay, also make sure that the HSF is firmly on the processor. Thermal goop is good, a pad will surfice. that HSF has to be firmly on the processor, thats all that matters. Some older HSF's clips are bent and wont give hthe HSF a good contact...if its making good contact and firmly on the processor, THEN your all set.
(/edit)

Last i remember socket 7 still used the clips, should use the same method i explained. Havent dealt with a socket 7 in awhile, but i think the only thing that differs with the hs retention mechanism is that it only uses 1 clip on each side, rather then the now usual 3.

Edit: I have to type faster ;) :D

Back