• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please w/new Mushkin PC4000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbuilder

I'm new to oc'ing (but not PCs) and building a new machine with P4P800E-Dlx, 2.6C and 1G Mushkin PC4000 (2x p/n 991115), which I presume to be based on the Hynix D5 4nS parts.

Just received my two 512 sticks from Newegg which not only have different color spreaders (which I understand to be normal) but also have one black and one green PCB.

What's the difference between the two PCB colors and might this be a problem in dual-channel?

I didn't think it was necessary to buy a matched pair as I don't care about spreader color and am not planning on going beyond 250MHz, so figured I was within tollerance of the sticks.

Thanks much.

PCB color won't matter. Mushkin Level II used green PCB's simply when they ran out of black PCB's. Shouldn't make a difference in the quality or running dc.

Thanks, makes sense. Except after further examination I see that the black PCB is marked "Mushkin Enhanced" near its edge where the green one isn't, and the green on has a small IC (not a DRAM) where the black one doesn't.

Any ideas?

Were these sticks OEM or retail at Newegg?

According to the Mushkin website, PC4000 should be on a black PCB, and I would imagine that all their retail product would conform to this spec. Maybe the green stick is an OEM stick.

Contact Mushkin direct and see what they have to say.

Yeah, I already had a call into them.

They told me that the black PCB's are the current version, and the green PCBs were an earlier pass at these PC4000 512's. He didn't think anyone was selling the green PCBs anymore. He couldn't confirm if the green sticks also used the Hynix D5's.

Back