• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why Opteron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because you have money to spend and are being greedy and won't send me any? Seroiusly though, what do you plan on using this for? Also keep in mind that some programs run better on one cpu than two and FX's and 64's don't operate in SMP.
Opterons are 86x64 like the 64 series but work in SMP.

Yeah. Athlon 64-FX is the same as an opteron, only 1way. Opterons are 2/4/8 way processors.

So it would make more sense to get an opteron instead of the fx?

Unless the FX mobo's are better, I guess?

You can always unlock an Opte...that'd be slick. I'd like 8x150's. With Windows 2003 Server... yeah.. that'd be good.

-Frank

a c i d.f l y said:
So it would make more sense to get an opteron instead of the fx?

Unless the FX mobo's are better, I guess?

You can always unlock an Opte...that'd be slick. I'd like 8x150's. With Windows 2003 Server... yeah.. that'd be good.

-Frank

FX motherboard == souped up single Opteron motherboard.

FXen are multiplier unlocked; Opterons are multiplier locked. If you believe there is a benefit to multiplier overclocking, then spend the big dollars on an FX. Opterons are factory locked and cannot be unlocked, just as AMD superlocked the desktop AthlonXP.

Trueplaya... is right. Opteron 1xxen cannot be run SMP.

In AMD's opinion, the ability to change the multiplier jusitifes the higher price of the Opteron-equivalent FX. AthlonFX lack the coherent SMP processor-to-processor HyperTransport link just as the Opteron 100s do.

Back