• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which linux for a server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorGoth

which type of linux is best for a server? i want to set up a home web server and want to know which distro of linux is the best?

thanks

There is no "best". Good Linux server distros are Debian, Slackware, potentially gentoo or non Linux: FreeBSD

Some distros are better for customization than others, but the bigger question is how to install your distro of choice (ie how much stuff is unavoidably installed, how easy it is to pick only what you need and how easy it is to strip out the extra stuff after you're done installing).

Since you said HOME webserver I would say start with mandrake or fedora. These are both good for learning on and they might be a bit more friendly that other distros.

MorGoth said:
which type of linux is best for a server? i want to set up a home web server and want to know which distro of linux is the best?

thanks

I would suggest any Linux distro really, most mainstream ones like Mandrake, SuSe, Fedora, Debian, etc have Apache supplied with them.

ok thanks....i think i'm gonna go with mandrake since its a home server

Back