• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

As noob as noob questions get...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unreal89

when applying thermal paste, is it better to put a paper thin layer, or .5mm or sumthin like that? I tried to do research on this question, but I kept running into where some think more is better, while others think less is better.

The manual of AS5 says: 'for an AMD XP core: half the size of an uncooked rice grain' For the P4 (with heat spreader) its 1.5 rice grain i think. Also, on the AXP youre ought to spread it yourself with a credit card or so, on the p4, the heatsink should spread it after youve fitted it on.

(forgot some word..replaced it by grain instead..not too good at english...soz :rolleyes: )

Unreal89 said:
when applying thermal paste, is it better to put a paper thin layer, or .5mm or sumthin like that? I tried to do research on this question, but I kept running into where some think more is better, while others think less is better.

If you have AS5 you want to put a really small dab on the middle of the core and let the heatsink smoothen it out. For anything else such as AS3 you want to do as suggested about which is to make a very thin smooth layer of paste over the core.

What I did on my p4 chip is put a small rice grain size in the center of the chip and place the heatsink on top of the chip, then I take off the heatsink and apply a thin layer on the chip using my drivers license and mount the hsf.

The A64 heatspreader is about the same as a P4 one, so use the same tactic. Put a small dab of it in the middle, and use the heatsink to spread it all over.

Back