• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why use linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M$ blows

I like the freedom to chose. :D
And the freedom from an unstable operating system. :D

M$ and all of it viruses, worms, and trojans are something I don't like to deal with. :mad:

And Cracker friendly Operating systems are something I don't wish to assoicate my self with. :mad:

I also like the Users enviroment; it dose not make me feel like a retard, even when I use KDE or Gnome.:D

There are many more reasons but these are at the top of my list.

What bru said. Also, it's a lot faster than Windows. Much less of a memory hog.

Re: M$ blows

bru said:
I like the freedom to chose. :D
And the freedom from an unstable operating system. :D

M$ and all of it viruses, worms, and trojans are something I don't like to deal with. :mad:

And Cracker friendly Operating systems are something I don't wish to assoicate my self with. :mad:

I also like the Users enviroment; it dose not make me feel like a retard, even when I use KDE or Gnome.:D

There are many more reasons but these are at the top of my list.

well choosing is ok but not really a reason
unstable?? like when. Winxp and 2000 are just as stable as linux, propably even more. 1 had 1 blue screen with winxp and I really dont know why? dam g/f.
I dont have an anti-virus program and I have not had a virus since I can remeber. (yeah I do check every now and again with stinger if I do have one)

and why does it make you feel like a retard when you use winxp? :D cause its easier to use?

I do it because I want to be in control of my computer. I don't want a super dumbed-down interface that requires special tools just to customize to my liking. I especially can't stand the idea of M$ dictating what I can and can't do with my computer via DRM, especially in hardware with Palladium. I'd rather have a stack of books in a log cabin without indoor plumbing than a computer that only pretends that I own it. Actually, that's why I don't use windows.
The reason I use Linux is because it has the largest supporting community and because it's so open. It's easy to get into the inner parts to mess around with them. If I don't like the way a program works, I can mess around with the source code and recompile. It's also easy (if you can program) to get involved in OSS projects, and there's always a bunch of interesting projects trying to get more developers. Do you like P2P filesharing? Go help with pdtp. Are you sick of X? Y-windows wants you. Do you like exotic filesystems? Check out lufs. etc.

germanjulian said:

really? proof?

I find linux slow...

You can make it as fast or slow as you like. It all depends on which distro you install and how much extra software you install (or let the installer install). If you find Linux slow, try booting a freshly installed Debian box with Fluxbox as the windowmanager. If that's not faster than windows (on the same box), I don't know what will be.

You asked, and I quote:
germanjulian said:
can somebody give me an awnser on why they use linux?

So why was my answer not Good enugh for you, It was why I use Linux.

I agree with everyone else that has posted as to good reason to use linux.

I use linux because I am poor and like not having to pay for every stinking piece of software I use :)

I feel now that with a few not-so-noticeable exceptions, Linux and Gnu supply me with all the software I need to use on a regular basis. The only exceptions are proprietary packages I need to use for entering grades for my students once a quarter and... can't think of the other one right now.

I've been playing with Linux for 6+ years now, and it's come a long way. Is it Windows XP? Nope, not hardly. But that's a good thing to a lot of people. If someone gave me a copy of XP Pro, I'd probably use it more than I currently use the only Microsoft OS I own, Windows 98SE. Linux is there, it's free, and it gets the job done.

Ken

You state that is M$ is stable??? Then why do I have to restart my servers at work daily??? And my linux servers and workstations never need restarted unless I feel the need??

NOTE: Not trying to be an A**, but this is how it is for me, and how I feel about this.

cause u setup ur server wrong or it sucks?
look at this
http://www.uptime-project.net/page.php?page=home&PHPSESSID=0bfa7af64ec42e12543f6f615d739c96

all mission critical systems use M$
look I dont like M$, but dam it has come a long way.
so has linux. if all I had to do is normal work and I had some more linux skills I would switch. But I need my hax0r software (blindwritte, plextools, loads of free apps, p2p stuff (caugh)) and I game. so I am kinda stuck with windows.

our server at work uses windows 2000. been working there for 7 months and we have never restarted. windows 2000 apache web server.
and another server just uses windows 2000 and lotus notes email program... had that restarted 4 months ago cause of new viri program.

http://www.netcraft.com/surveys/analysis/https/2001/Jan/CMatch/cnt_all.html

http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/archive/200301/

They wouldnt use M$ if it wasnt stable. .... All the banks I know use M$ (worked at deutsche bank and I know someone at city bank) for all their stuff

bru said:
You state that is M$ is stable??? Then why do I have to restart my servers at work daily???

You should be able to explain that yourself if your a tech. I've had my WinXP box on 24/7 since Windows XP came out. Only time I restart it about once a month just to make sure any updates and such have taken. I format every 6 - 8 months, but thats just because I like the feel of a fresh system, not because anything has gone wrong.

Evnas said:

You should be able to explain that yourself if your a tech. I've had my WinXP box on 24/7 since Windows XP came out. Only time I restart it about once a month just to make sure any updates and such have taken. I format every 6 - 8 months, but thats just because I like the feel of a fresh system, not because anything has gone wrong.

You dont' have to restart Linux after updates.

germanjulian said:

http://www.netcraft.com/surveys/analysis/https/2001/Jan/CMatch/cnt_all.html

http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/archive/200301/

They wouldnt use M$ if it wasnt stable. .... All the banks I know use M$ (worked at deutsche bank and I know someone at city bank) for all their stuff

Perhaps it would be better to look at some more up to date statsitics from netcraft:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Personally, I don't think stability is the only (or even primary) reason that MS's IIIS is chosen by some websites. For one, their is a certain stigma around free / open source software in the business world. No one gets fired for chosing MS software.

oh by the way I respect all Linux uses highly even though more then 60% of them are programmers cause Linux is still to dam hard to use.

I really hope in 2 year time we have a better linux = my girlfriend can use it install it and all software is able to run it without me having to install another version or perl or something

It comes down to personal experience and choice.

I use Linux for a lot of reasons but the biggest are (in order):
Control
Amount of low cost software
Plentiful options
Speed
and last of this list- I like the concept of Open Source.

I think Microsoft has done a lot of good stuff, as well as bad-
Good: WFW 3.11, NT4.0, Win2K
Bad: WinME, Windows XP, killing good software by buying it and bloating it up in MS typical fashion. ;)

I use Microsoft operating systems on a few of my own computers and Win2K has never let me down. I do some side support and rarely do I do a service call on a Win2K machine that is NOT user-caused. WIndows XP is another matter......it will NEVER be on one of my machines!

Back