• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Lock-Up Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

My computer was occassionally locking up on me, so I decided to format and reinstall windows.

I have a C, D, E, and F drive all into a Promise ATA133 controller card.

During windows setups on the C and D drives, the computer continued to lock up on me, so I tried installing on the F drive and it worked.

The computer, however, still freezes on me every 1-3 minutes and I have to reset - I can't even get the windows updates installed.

I tried swapping the cables around, that didn't seem to help. The computer still freezes now, even with a fresh install of windows. I don't have any overclocking running and my temps are fine.

Any ideas what's up?

PS I know this is short but the computer is about to freeze so...

Sounds like a hardware problem. I would suggest going to a minimum configuration: Video card, 1 stick of ram, 1 hard drive, 1 CD rom. Reformat the hard drive and install windows. See if it is stable. If yes, then one of the parts you took out is a problem. Try adding parts in one at a time until it goes unstable....voila, you have the culprit. If it is not stable at the minimum configuration, then swap the remaining parts with others in your bag of stuff. When it goes stable, then you have the culprit. If nothing works then it is narrowed down to PSU, CPU, and mobo. Try those in another computer, or buy new.

I would start by taking all the components out including ram and reseating them, even if everything looks like it is firmly attached sometimes this does the trick.

And as already mentioned above, install the minimum and try to eliminate some possibilities.

Back