Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

MSI and Thermalright SLK-947U users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 05:13 PM Thread Starter   #1
nkcd

MSI and Thermalright SLK-947U users

I have an MSI MS-6701 (Medion MD5000) P4 Motherboard. Those who have similar board, what type of heasink do you use with your processor? Do you use SLK-947U Heatsink? What do you recommend?

Thermalright SLK-947U Users, exactly how large is the heatsink, does it fit well on your board, any extra spaces, etc? And how much did it lower the temp on your CPU (idle/load)?

The reason I'm asking is that I saw these heatsinks for sale for the low low, that's why I'm asking if it would worth it to install onto my system?

The attachment are some picture of my stock cooling area. I don't know if it'll fit though. It's about 1/2 in between the PS and the top edge of the board, and about 1 in between the stock heatsink and the memory.
Attached Images

Last edited by nkcd; 05-27-04 at 05:25 PM.
nkcd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-27-04, 05:26 PM Thread Starter   #2
nkcd

right side clearance.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-04, 05:27 PM Thread Starter   #3
nkcd

top clearance
Attached Images

Old 05-27-04, 10:09 PM Thread Starter   #4
nkcd

now I know that it will fit, but will it help lower my CPU temp? My idle temp is 33-35 CPU/32 case, and load is 46 cpu/42 case with stock heatsink & small 60mm fan.

Video: X800 Pro VIVO--------------------&-------------ATI X800 Pro 256MB AGP
Sound: Stock P5K HD Audio--------------&-------------Abit IC7-G Onboard sound :p
PSU: Sparkle 550W PLG------------------&------------- Ultra Infinity 500w
Case: Antec P180-----------------------&-------------Gigabyte 3D Aurora :)
Cooling: Scythe Ninja--------------------&-------------Thermalright SLK947U

My Heatware
Old 05-27-04, 10:18 PM   #5
CrashOveride

Well, it will almost deffinatly lower your temps if that's (in the picture) the HS you got on there.I would get it, and according to Thermalright it will fit (if you need any more assurance).

Your temps do look pretty good though. But because of the HS on there and the board (MSI), I wouldn't trust them (I bet they are actually higher unless the ambient temp in your room is very low).

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-27-04, 10:38 PM Thread Starter   #6
nkcd

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashOveride
Well, it will almost deffinatly lower your temps if that's (in the picture) the HS you got on there.I would get it, and according to Thermalright it will fit (if you need any more assurance).

Your temps do look pretty good though. But because of the HS on there and the board (MSI), I wouldn't trust them (I bet they are actually higher unless the ambient temp in your room is very low).
hhaha, I was confused by you saying that it should fit according to Thermalright, then I went to their site and check, surprisingly, it's on there.

I sent them an email earlier this morning with my pictures and asking them if they fit - Mine wasn't on there. Got a reply later this evening saying that they should, now, they just updated their info thanks to me

Yea, my ambient is pretty low ~70F or lower. How much you think it should lower my temp?
Old 05-28-04, 09:54 PM   #7
CrashOveride

I really don't know. If thats stock, I would guess roughly 5C, if you also start using AS5 (and weren't before), it would also depend on the fanb you got with it. But it's really kinda hard to say.

In any event I would say it's pretty much worth it.

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-28-04, 11:06 PM Thread Starter   #8
nkcd

great, I'mma try and bring both my CPU and case temp down below 30

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool