• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 775 Abit As8 865pe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4 PCI slots..passive cooling on north and southbridges..this is an odd board for Abit. Look at all the room around the socket.

It appears the northbridge IS using active cooling.(note the fan and wires connected to the mo board) It appears the fan is 90 degrees to the mo board. Opposed to being actually on top of the heat sink its to the side. As far as the room around the socket. Must there to allow room for that 2.2lb alluminum block they are going to call a heatsink to fit in place.

Z

Well, from my understanding the chipsets will debut early June and are to be available soon after.. so I would imagine the processors should be available around the same time. I just hope they wont be delayed.. I need to upgrade.

I believe the big "gaps" are to do with the new power management, the 4 stage mosfet cooling etc for the new prescotts. The reason prescotts are hot is not because they are "crap" but because the boards do not natively support the prescotts. These boards should be alot better for cooling, next step will be BTX boards.

~t0m

After you put the CPU in the socket (holes on pins) theres a thin aluminium 'shim' to be placed over the cpu to secure it. (the actual thing where the T shape comes from) Some reviewer already concluded that we're very likely to see alot of bent and deformed shims, since the aluminium of it is very thin, like 0.5 mm.

aNTiChRisT said:
I believe the big "gaps" are to do with the new power management, the 4 stage mosfet cooling etc for the new prescotts. The reason prescotts are hot is not because they are "crap" but because the boards do not natively support the prescotts. These boards should be alot better for cooling, next step will be BTX boards.

~t0m

I have to disagree.

Did you know that Intel doubled the transitor count between Northwood and Prescott (55 mil to ~111 mil)?

Did you know that Intel extended an already far too long pipeline (31 stages!)

Did you know that the number one rule of microprocessor design is that less is more?

Prescott is a flawed design.

Um, well, Prescott does appear to be a flawed design, and its power leakage issues *are* inherent (and unrelated to other issues like the motherboard).

But to suggest there is one magical approach to design, or make humorously general statements on transistor counts or pipeline length is just silly. You don't know what you are talking about.

Sjaak said:
Tell Intel :clap:

I wonder how the designers (who definatly once said that this was going to be the best core ever) now think about it :-/

Dude, I sent a letter after the Willamette fiasco. :mad:

My response went something like:

"Dear Captain Newbie:

Thank you for your concern. We don't care what you think.

Sincerely,
Intel Coproration."

Well, as long as they make profit from it, i wouldnt complain being the company, would i?

Best thing would be that everybody owning a pc slower then 2 ghz would right now hop on the overclock-bandwagon, forcing AMD and Intel to become more OC friendly.

Or as Ed said like a 100 times already: we, as a community, are just too small a marketshare to be taken care of specifically.

BTW: wheres that evil avater gone? i liked that guy ;)

Hopefully intel can offer something that can compete with the amd socket 939 processors.

My next upgrade will include either a socket 939 amd or 775 intel.

It seems to me that with AMD"s $500 and $700 proc's being the only s939's around at launch Intel is going for the budget crowd as a 2.8ghz lga775 Pressy will only run $180, hell, the $500 AMD CPU falls in between a $417, 3.4ghz and a $637, 3.6ghz lga775 Pressy.

Just me but if AMD don't get its *** in gear by mid-summer I'll deal with the pressy heat for the $$$, also if Intel releases 64-bit pressy's to the public in August for the SAME PRICE as regualr P4's, well, sign be up an Intel guy

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15867

Back