• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed the Tornado 110cfm.. omfg.. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

This thing.. is 10x worse than I had thought.

It would slice and dice my fingers like a jinsu knife. I'm surprised my case isn't hovering!

My woman was like, "It sounds like a small jet airplane!" *while speaking over the noise*

It is DEFINATELY NOT TOLERABLE. I need a fan controller that can handle the 5A this thing eats!

-Frank

I believe a sunbeam can even handle 2 of those badboys. This fancontroller rocks :) . Just watch out for those super bright LED's cause they will light up your room.

Linky?

Well, at least one benefit is -- the temp never raises more than 3°C. So that's kinna cool... haven't attempted to boost my OC yet.. 40° idle to 43°C load at 2200mhz... with a new AS5 heatsink reseating.

Thanks,
-Frank

it is 119cfm. not sure of the amps though. i am running mine of a nexus fan controller along with an 80mm tornado and 80mm thermaltake smart fan. have had no problems with this setup...it is louder than hell though all fans at full throttle:)

PCGUY112887 said:
Em, I thought it moved 119CFM, and only used 1amp..

Not sure how many amps it draws, but it definately isn't the 5A listed in the initial post. 5A@12V = 60W which way more power than you want any fans drawing. I have 2 172mm 235cfm fans in my computer and they draw 2.26A@12V = 27W. To make them run quieter, I hooked them up to swicthes that will switch the ground lead from ground (0v) to 5v to get the system running at 7v.

IMO tornado 92 works best at 3590 rpm. not 3500, not 3600. there is a noise sweet spot *at least for me* that just seems best. at that rpm, it beats every 80 mm fan out and makes less noise. thing is, even at 2400 rpm, its going to be louder. there is no way to make the tornado quiet, at all. it wont start up at 5 volts as far as i know, but i have never tried it. 7 volts is about 3000 rpm i belive. thats pretty ideal too. REALLY moves air.
sucks that its auditory profile is so sharp, but really, these are the tools of the trade if you want to get a good overclock . you get used to it.

PCGUY112887 said:
Em, I thought it moved 119CFM, and only used 1amp..

It does I have the box here in front of me since I use them as well.
Vantec Tornado
TD9238H
Dimension: 92X92X38
Weight: 187g
Rated Voltage 12V
Rated Power 12.5 W
Rated Current: 1.0 Amp
Fan Speed 4800 RPM
Air Flow 119 CFM
Noise 56.4dB

I have 2 of the Vantec 205 Fan Controllers each channel handles up to 18 Watts. They fit nicely into the 3.5" Bays so they are out of the way and grouped nicely into a small area. They do a great job for me as I have all my fans routed through them. :attn:

I had one of those fans for a day.... it was way to loud for me. I even tried my TT case controller. But by time I got it slowed to a speed that was not loud, it was about the same as a reg case fan. So I just put a reg case fan in it.

My friend has one of those, he sold it on ebay, he told me it was too loud to use. Even with a fan controller, those things still remain pretty loud.

a c i d.f l y said:
This thing.. is 10x worse than I had thought.

It would slice and dice my fingers like a jinsu knife. I'm surprised my case isn't hovering!

My woman was like, "It sounds like a small jet airplane!" *while speaking over the noise*

It is DEFINATELY NOT TOLERABLE. I need a fan controller that can handle the 5A this thing eats!

-Frank

Lol... I've really gotta get one of these for myself.

I run my wife's vacumn cleaner in the background to provide some "white noise" when I'm using my Tornados. They offset each other and you can hardly hear either one. Really!

I'm sorry, what was that you said???

All kidding aside, did anyone here actually buy a Tornado without KNOWING how loud they are? Every review, every article and every post that includes reference to them end up stating that they are louder than most. Even the box states the dB levels. As was stated above, the reason you buy one of those is to get kickass airflow, mostly for high performance heatsinks (like ThermalRights and a few others) that REQUIRE max airflow to obtain the enhance performance that they are capable of. I'm not trying to critical here, but I fail to understand why people suddenly act as if the noise level is a big surprise when they crank one of these up. That bit of information has been plastered all over the internet for quite a while now. Buy one of these and run them full blast to get max results, or don't run them at all. You don't run a dragster at low rpms down to the corner grocery store and you don't run a Tornado that way either. All or nothing.

I got the Tornado and I can't wait to use it on my SP-97 :D

I really don't care about noise. When I get it all set up, I'm going to set it to the max!!!

What in the world is the point of getting a fancontroller to slow down the tornado to make it quieter? By slowing it down, you're going to reduce the amount of airflow to that of quieter fans. which makes using a tornado completely pointless. And I agree with the people who pointed out that you should have known it was going to be loud. The volume is mentioned in every review, most of the websites i've seen selling tornado fans, and it's probably written on the box too. If you wanted a quieter fan, it probably would have cost less, and you wouldn't be getting a fan controller to slow it down.

well, that's what you get for underestimating 55-60 db

You get it and a controler so you can turn it down when you want it to be quieter, and turn it up when you need the extra cooling. And it's only $10.25, not that bad compared to the $6-7 you would pay for a fan that you coulden't turn up.

Back