• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelting fx-53 and fx-51 sjpuld i remove the shims?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sun_tzu617

I have seen that the fx series use cpu shims, and wouldnt the shims form condensation around and over the cpu itself? So i would have to remove the shim right? How do i do it, somone removing a intel shim said he had a lot of problems doing it...whats the general concensus?

I wouldnt risk a $800 chip just for the sake of getting colder temps. If you want to cool it better then use a cascade or somthing, ive read that removing the ihs only drops temps 3 to 5c , your call but i wouldnt risk it!

the general thing that i've heard is that it's not a magical new level of overclocking You will see a difference, but probably not that big a difference. and pelts do munch more electricity than phase-change systems... so why not just go for the whole shebang and do direct-die! lol...j/k

and pay 500 bucks of my profit to get it.... HELL NO.... should i just watercool, no pelts, untill i really need it?

Last I heard those don't come off. The only pics I have seen of it had a completely destroyed core from some adhesive. They are attached to the core and not removable like the Intel ones.

yeah don't take the IHS off, you will most likely kill the processor.
make sure you insulate it well if you pelt it.

Back