• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wavy Edges on my monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RagingGecko

Registered
This problem just started about a week ago. When viewing or loading certain webpages or running certain programs the monitor becomes distorted, then the edges start to wave and flicker. What the heck is going on? If needed I can post a picture of it. I thought maybe it was interference, but I moved everything away from the computer and it still does it. Its not just always one spot on the screen. Like while I'm typing this, the bottom left corner is doing it, not bad, but its waving and jiggling. Other times, its the top right, or the top left. Sometimes its the whole screen. Any ideas?

Oh, and I tried slapping the top of the monitor (yeah, i know, i was kinda getting frustrated), and that fixed it for a while before. Now I slapped it and it goes away and flickers right back immediately.

Bad soldering joints - I'd get it to a tech who can go through it and resolder all suspicious looking joints in the monitor. In addition to fixing this problem, it might prevent others from happening. I would get this done ASAP though to prevent more costly damage caused by the loose connection - I've had a few with these symptoms die beyond reasonable repair because the owners ignored it for too long.

So this isn't something I could fix myself? Any idea what that would cost?

Edit: Just discovered this. I was running at 85 hertz, and yes, my monitor supports it. If I lower the refresh rate to 75 hertz then the problem disappears.

Last edited:
Unless you're experienced with soldering or have worked around CRT monitors, I'd recommend not trying it. There are some safety issues with working on these. www.repairfaq.org has some good info on this kind of thing.

Interesting the problem goes away at 75Hz, but you may see the problem start there too. I would still get it looked at. A good tech could resolder everything needed in the monitor in less than an hour - might want to shop around and see who has the lowest rates where you live.

Back