• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computers Crash after being left on for a while

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

Why do computers sometimes crash after being left on for a while? I have two ideas about this may be the case:

1. Windoze and Mac are bad operating systems.
2. Companies like Dell have bad cooling.

I have heard that Windoze XP doesn't crash, so I'm thinking it's mostly the operating system.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks

..first of all windows is not a bad OS. Neither is MAC OSX. OSX hardly EVER crashes. The same however cannot be said about XP. MACs..the software is completely seperate from the hardware. Windows however is integrated with the hardware. Also, Dell, HP, Compaq etc. all have decent cooling. If they had "bad" cooling like you say they do then why aren't we seeing complaints all over the place do to thermal shutdown?? Your post comes more off as a mac, windows and PC Manuf. bashing.

Frozen Shadow said:
..first of all windows is not a bad OS. Neither is MAC OSX. OSX hardly EVER crashes. The same however cannot be said about XP. MACs..the software is completely seperate from the hardware. Windows however is integrated with the hardware. Also, Dell, HP, Compaq etc. all have decent cooling. If they had "bad" cooling like you say they do then why aren't we seeing complaints all over the place do to thermal shutdown?? Your post comes more off as a mac, windows and PC Manuf. bashing.

I'm really wondering.

Aside from Windows Me, I rarely have had Windows or Mac OS X crash or get really screwed up on me at home, but both operating systems crash or get really screwed up regularly at school.

Stupid Boy said:
I'm really wondering.

Aside from Windows Me, I rarely have had Windows or Mac OS X crash or get really screwed up on me at home, but both operating systems crash or get really screwed up regularly at school.

OEM computers typically have cooling that is designed to be quiet. So the processors are always running on the edge of hot, especially in an overclockers eyes. I too have the school's computers get screwy a lot. Most of it is probably due to the fact that they put Freezedrive on it, so it has to remeber what settings and everything to undo at reboot. Pretty dumb IMO (Freezedrive).

you didn't say what operating system you are seeing these crashes under, if it's the win 9x series, it's probably the OS, that code base was just bad

Back