• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plese help with an upgrade question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafaphoto

I have a 2500 Barton, running at 2.4 with Buffalo tech ram. In the next week or so, I will have the cash to either upgrade my ram, or CPU. The Athlon 3000 or better ram, that is my question! Does anyone have any info on the overclocking potential of the Athlon 3000? I am hitting a wall at 220 FSB with the 2500.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

E

do u mean the xp3000 or 64bit3000 ?

if its the xp3000, save your money as your going faster than that atm anyway.

if its the 64bit 3000 id say save your money for a bit longer and see what else is coming out - prices are going to drop to. If u really want to get a 64 bit get the 3200 at least as it has 1mb L2 cache as opposed to the 3000 having 512

what speed memory do u have atm?

as for overclocking potential - xp-m are the best for socket A (2500 or 2600), and 64bit systems i have no clue as ive never looked into them, sorry (although ive seen a few 3200 running 250x8 - but u need good memory for that :/)

Thanks for the reply!

I am talking about the 32 bit CPU, not the 64. My current ram is PC 2700 (budget ram, but for the money, nice stuff).

E

Ok well in that case the best overclocking cpu is an xp-m2500 or xp-m2600

Id buy new ram if i was in your position, your "wall" is most likely ram orientated.

You need to weight up if u want a uber fsb overclock (250+) or a moderate fsb overclock.(230's) You might get more fsb running out of duel channel.

Ive read good things about ozc 3500eb but im not really an expert on the mid speed rams :-/ Im sure others can help you with decent ram

Also looking at your sig, if u play alot of games a new graphics card will give u more fps than new ram :)

Thanks for the info Coil

I do play a few games, but lucky me, they are older, and work great on my computer (Call of Duty, Diablo II). I think I will update the RAM, my computer may become a work computer, using Photoshop, so I think the RAM is the best thing to upgrage.

Thanks for the help!

E

Back