• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the diff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homicsbane

I am going to buy a GeForce 2 MX. I dont know which one to buy, the regular MX, 200, or 400. Which ones are similar, and which ones will i notice a performance increase the most? I am moving up from a Voodoo3 200 PCI and going to AGP 4x, will there be a big difference?

Tom has info on this here.

For short, the MX200 has its mem bandwidth cut down to 64bit SDR which is half of the 128bit SDR of the MX400 and 1/4 of the 128bit DDR of the full GF2. So the MX200 is half slower than the MX400. The core is same as the original MX but the cut down mem is holding it back. U likely couldnt get decent FPS out of any game at any more than 640x480 or 800x600 @ 32bpp. With MX200 that is. MX400 does much better.

Correct me if im wrong, but don't most geforce 2 mx boards that run on DDR memory have the memory bus cut down to 64 (double data rate makes it 128, like the mx400), so as not to compete w/the pro and gts versions of the card???

turok said:
Correct me if im wrong, but don't most geforce 2 mx boards that run on DDR memory have the memory bus cut down to 64 (double data rate makes it 128, like the mx400), so as not to compete w/the pro and gts versions of the card???

Yes, I believe U are correct. MX would equal the GTS if it had full 128bit DDR. MX can only have 128bit SDR or 64bit DDR, equal performance anycase.

Back