• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help me out here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no idea how much experience you have with Linux, but...

Did you install the 2.6.5 kernel? The guide at http://h00045ad2a5c0.ne.client2.attbi.com/jaydolan/igp.html mentions the make menuconfig, but it doesn't mention any other part of the installation. Once you've saved and exited the config, type make && make modules_install. Once all that stuff is finished, type cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.x then cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.x and THEN cp .config /boot/config-2.6.x (replace all the x's with whatever the last digit of the kernel is - in this case, it would be 5).

Then you need to edit your boot loader config file (in my case, /etc/lilo.conf) and (if it's LILO) change the line that says image=/boot/vmlinuz* to image=/boot/kernel-2.6.x. Save and exit the config file. Then you need to update the boot loader itself with a /sbin/lilo. Then you can restart and you'll hopefully find yourself booting into a 2.6.x kernel!

Sorry, but I have no idea how to edit the GRUB boot loader, as I never use it :p. If YOU use GRUB, just ask and somebody else can probably tell you.

*Can't remember what the default kernel is called, but vmlinuz sounds right, but it might be called something else.

Hope that helps!

ahhh please help I did the above it wored no errors and I restarted and while loading stuff (before prompt) I get a

spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7

hopefully this doesnt require ahrdware swapping as this is on a laptop and thats a tad hard....

please help me

I don't mind formatting but there are some files I need cold I just make a nother partition install slackware on it then mount my other install get the files burn them to cd the format?

Back