• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocDave

I picked up a 1333 mhz athlon and was oc ing it with the bus, Then i decided to try the pencil trick. Now it won't boot. I was extra careful but i think some graphite got inbetween the bridges. SO i bought another one and i think i did the same. I cleaned them with alcohol. Can i send um back to AMD to get um replaced? How will they know what happened after i clean um?

I am using a asus A7m266 mobo with 512 megs ram btw. any suggestions?

Doc

welcome to the forum!

Unless you smelled something bad or saw them smoke, they should still be fine.
Did you try using an eraser to remove the pencil, then trying the pencil trick again? It took me about 5 tries to unlock a 1 gig tbird successfully.
Hopefully the store you bought the second one from will accept it if you choose to return it.

good luck

It smelled back

The chips smelled bad. DOH so i think they fried up. can i send um back to amd?

Doc

If Amd thinks you screwed with the bridges i don't think they will send you a replacement. But if you know for a fact hat the chip is burned, then there is no harm in trying.:p :p

I physically crunched my T-birds core with a POS orb. Took it back and got it replaced no problemo. Thats one good thing about Frys :)

where do i return it?

Where do I return the CPU. the company that i purchased it from wont' take it back. do i send it to athlon? amd i mean?

Dave

Re: where do i return it?

DocDave said:
Where do I return the CPU. the company that i purchased it from wont' take it back. do i send it to athlon? amd i mean?

Dave

why won't they take it back? did you tell them you were overeclocking? If its retail you can return it to amd, otherwise call the company and tell them that the cpu is defective.

Back