• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: STHU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Altima

Project STHU

Hello all. Like many of yours, my computer is loud as heck. It used to not bother me that much, but slowly it has become unbearable. I can't keep it on at night, so I decided to buy some quieter fans. Then, I decided, while I am at it I might as well just repaint it and make it look a bit nicer, and so started project STHU.

First I took all the side and front panels off my computers. Then realized I probably should have taken a picture first.. Well, here it is.
4120sthu2.JPG

And the panels, that's the old colour, the new one is the spray paint cans you can see in the picture. The blue is getting a little old, and I have more experience in painting now and can make it look much better.
4120sthu3.JPG

Here are the culprits... :mad: (notice the large amounts of elec. tape holding stuff together :-/ )
4120sthu1.JPG

The 120mm is running on 7 volts and is still the loudest thing in the case by far. The 92 mm on the cpu is extremely loud as well, but I am going to keep it, just using a fan controller instead.

So I went and found all my painting stuff and bought some fiberglass and other stuff. Luckily I had painted my laptop over the christmas break so I had a lot of the stuff I needed..
4120sthu4.JPG

Then I went over to bigfootcomputers.com (Good for all you people in Toronto, the $7 1 day shipping was cheaper than the gas it would take to drive there! They are fast, I ordered on the Long weekend, and they had shipped it by wednesday, and I got it on Thurs.) and ordered some new fans and some expandable sleeving to sleeve my PSU.. The split loom just doesn't compare to what I've seen on here when peopel sleeve their psus. The fans are SilenX and they run at 14dB!! You can get ones that run at 11dB too, which is half as loud as these and push only about 7-10 cfm less. I went for the 14db ones for 2 reasons, pushed a little more air, and saved me about $10 :-/
2 x 120mm and 1 92 mm. The 2 120s are going in the front and back. And the 92 is going in the front as well, to cool off the drives.
4120sthu7.JPG

The sleeving..
4120sthu8.JPG

more in next post..

So I took my computer apart. First step was to turn the drive bay. One of my HDs has a SATA adapter on it, and it sticks out far, I originally had a hold the side of my case the adapter stuck out of. You can see how the orientation of the drive bay would do this.
4120sthu5.JPG

So first I did a bit of drilling and managed to get it into this position.. (sorry for blurryness)
4120sthu9.JPG

Only to realize that there wasn't enough room for a 120 mm fan up front. So after scratching my head for a bit, I managed to relocate it at the bottom.
4120sthu10.JPG

It's a tight squeeze, but the 92mm fan fits in there, and there is room above it for a 120.

Now I've drawn out the circles, but I am stuck trying to find the dremel, my rents just moved so I have no idea where it is. I've also sanded down the case. I also wanted a bit cleaner look to it, so I decided to take this top bezel thingy off. Only now there is holes at the top of my case so I fiberglassed it flat, now I just got to sand it
4120sthu11.JPG

More on the way, will post back soon with updates.

Yeah, it sounds like a great idea! I hope it works out well for you. You should do something awesome to replace the old color, like getting your case chromed.

that case is from a gateway isnt it? hah i have that same case somewhere in my house... Good luck with the mod!

Thanks. Hehe, ya, it's from gateway. I got it with my old 1.4GHz Willamette from gateway. I have since changed everything, except the old HD which holds a few seasons of different shows. I love the case, everything is easy in - easy out, requires no screws for any hw aside from the mobo. Even the PSU is just snapped in.

Heh, i used to have a gateway case like that, after about a yr of modding it i gave it to lil bro and now its a frakensiten case bc it has sitckers all over it and no front panel and its also allmost coverd with ducktape :X , gl with the mod!

Update! I resleeved most of the PSU today. Unfortunately I am going to have to order some more, but it only need very little.

Before:
4120sthu12.JPG

After I took the psu apart and took off all the old split loom. ( ! be careful, this PSU has been unplugged for a few days, so the risk of shock was fairly little, but still there, but you can seriously hurt yourself ! )
4120sthu13.JPG

Got the sleeving on, now just got to heat shrink..
4120sthu14.JPG

Here it is complete... minus a little bit after I ran out. I may also take off the old black sleeving and resleeve that as well (why not ?)
4120sthu15.JPG

Very nice idea, and I agree that your sleeving job went really well. I'm sure it'll turn out nice, as it's already looking cool in the early stages. Good luck :D

Thanks. My family just got satelite, and since I only got back from univ. a month ago I find it amazing. I managed to watch like 4 hours of Simpsons straight just going from channel to channel :D I really like the sleeving, can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I just ordered in some more 1/2" and 1/4" sleeving to finish it off and cover the fan tails. I also ordered a knob for my fan controller and some LEDs for another part of the project I'll be starting as soon as I can find the dremel :bang head: Dust is another part of the reason I am doing this project. The dust you see there is from literally 2 weeks of use. I have filters for all the intake fans this time though :D Lucky you didn't see the hs. There was enough to knit a scarf with :eek:

Those silenx fans don't push much air period. I've got a couple of them, and the 80mm's strain to push air through those metal mesh filters. The 120's are nice though.

I'd personally just get some ADDA or even cheapo 120mm's and voltmod them myself in the future. Or just plug them into a fanbus.

Thanks for the complements :)
As for the dust, my best guess is it's a brand new house, my rents just bought it like 6 months ago. So my dad is doing a lot of work around here, there is also tons of contruction outside, and I have 2 cats and the weather is just getting warmer... other than that no idea why its so dusty :\

My stuff, I ordered on mon. night from bigfootcomputers.com, got here today (thurs) so I finished the PSU. I wanted to get rid of the AUX and EXTRA (molex) connectors since they were useless, so I tucked em all in to the PSU (don't want to cut em off since I want to be able to use the PSU in another comp later on). It's really packed in there.
65ap

Here it is all finished.
65as

The only cable not sleeved in blue (the black one) wasn't because of this little critter :mad:
65at

EDIT: Update...

I managed to make myself a molex removal tool.
Here they are: (Can you believe it costs < $0.25 ;) )
65gj

This is the male removal tool in use.
65gl

Here are my fans all sleeved up :)
65gm

Last edited:
Question abotu tucking the extra lines into the PSU..does that happen to damage the wires in time? with the heat and fan from the PSU. The job looks great so far.

Ya, your probably right. I tried to keep them away from the dangerous stuff, like heatsink and fans and stuff, most of it (~75%) is stuffed on either side of the power switch... I may just cut it too.

Back