• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400 OC Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRod

I am working on OCing my XP2400 Thorton core. Unfortunatly, it is a week 52 of '03 CPU, so it is super-locked (unless there is something I don't know about).

My question is, I have the FSB pushed up to 150 so far +17 from normal, and I am currently (as I type) Priming it at 2256 MHz. For some reason, my RAM shows up in the BIOS of my DFI NFII Ultra Infinity as running at 225 instead of 217. Does anyone have a clue why this would be? I am about to download CPUID to see if I can verify that the BIOS is correct, but I thought maybe someone would know why.

Any other tips on how to push the CPU higher would also be appreciated. I haven't had to increase the voltage above 1.65 and it has been real stable so far. I am hoping that I can get it up to 166 FSB (2.5 GHz) on air, but we shall see.

Thanks for any and all help!

Well, nevermind. Just checked in CPU Z and apparently the RAM is set to 1:1 with the FSB, so it is actually only running at 150 also. That would explain my pitiful Mem benchmarks in Sandra.

Anyway, I'd still appreciate any pointers; especially from those familiar with my board/cpu.

Need help.

Prime has failed at that speed with core voltage of 1.65 and 1.675.

What could I be doing wrong or am I just screwed with a lame chip?

I am currently trying at 1.7 so hopefully this will work.

How high can I safely take the core voltage on air?

Don't be afraid to give it 1.8-1.9 if your power supply is up to the task. What heatsink/fan do you have?

Also, run your memory 1:1. Running it above the FSB gives nothing but problems.

Yeah, my mem is running at 1:1.

I have an Alpha PAL8045 with original AS and a 55cfm 80mm fan whose brand name escapes me.

I also have an 84cfm 120mm sunon intake fan coupled with a 55cfm 120mm and 44cfm slot cooler exhaust.

My PSU is an Antec SL350 350W. I would assume it can handle it, but I am always fearful when it comes to raising voltages.

Also, I just graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering. All the theory I have learned about microprocessors says that as clock speed increases, VDD decreases. Microprocessor trends agree with this statement (started at 5V, down to 3.3, now all the way down to 1.5 and lower). What is the rational behind raising VDD as you increase clock speed? Does anyone know of a good technical article that explains this?

Well, running at 1.7 V it has been Priming for nearly 4 hours now.

I also disabled CPC so that may be it too.

Back