• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BT Adsl - Router/Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

Hi OC'ing peeps!! :D

Hoping there's someone from the UK browsing the forums, i know this really might not be the place to post such a quesion, but i'm serious need of a little advice regarding a BT Adsl Connection and don't know anywhere with people as nice as the ones here to ask.

Does anyone using BT ADSL know if i was to buy an ADSL Modem/Router , that if it would work?

Will BT Adsl only work with certain Modem's?....

This info is not for me, so i'm on a budget, but thats not the issue, just need to know if BT's Adsl is picky about what modems connect to it?

If anyone can offer help, i'll clean yer shoes for a week!!! :D lol j/k on that part, but i'd be very very VERY greatful.

TIA to anyone.

BT - as in BTOpenworld? They may supply you with some crummy USB modem but there certainly won't be anything preventing you from connecting a PPPoA modem of your choosing to the line instead. I would strongly lean towards an external switch/router combo box (proper standalone job with ethernet ports) for about £90 if they have lots of computers. It offers practically invincible security from outside intrusion and is configurable to your heart's content.

But if you want an ordinary PCI/USB modem then it should work with BT.

Thanx very much for the quick reply L337, i'm planning for an Ethernet 4 Port Modem/Router Combo, can't quite stretch to £90, but i appreciate the reply none the less........ i doubt i'll be able to go above £60 tbh mate, as its not my money.

Only gonna be for the use of 2 computers, but how often do you see 2 Port Modem/Routers?.

Just wondered if BT has certain specs the modem must adhere to other then that of it being an ADSL modem.

Thanx dude.

Back