• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

An Outdated Jump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teger

Registered
Got a slight issue here =) I've got a system that is really starting to show its age - might donate it to the sister or something...

AMD XP 2000
Asus A7N266-VM Moboard
2x 512 2100 Crucial
Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4680 - basically - the 4200 board built for OCing.. - It's clocked to a lil over 4600 speeds atm.

Hell.. Motherboard only supports 4x AGP ;p Not even getting the fullest use out of it ;p So all this wild crazy fun stuff has been coming out lately - And I'd like to upgrade...

My graphics card is really hurting - the current motherboard is locked so I can't even OC. :cry:

Possible paths..

Mobile AMD 64 w/ a nice OCing board - would decide once some more are released... I'd have to keep the old TI4200 however - can't afford a new video card along with all of this..

Or..

Mobile AMD XP with a new board and ram - overclocked as well as a 9800 pro softed to XP.

Primarily used for games - FFXI, UT2k4 and perhaps some of the newer stuff to come out.

I only have a few hundred to spend - so value is what I'm really looking for here.

I'm doubting it, but.. would the AMD64 with the 4200 outperform the mobile XP 2500 or so with the 9800?

Thanks again for the information - sorta new here and I'm sure you guys see a lot of people just like me. I appreciate the help =)

Honestly, you might have to spend a few more $$$ to get to the Mobile 64 system, but I think it's well worth it. Given the OC potential demonstrated by Gautam and others...I think the Mobile 64s are the way to go. I think you'd find that you're in another narrowing bottleneck in terms of technology if you decided on the XP platform at this point, as the XP days are nearing an end. A solid M64 system w/ a Sapphire 9800pro & 512mb of RAM would offer a sizeable gain for a modest price.

And btw, I'm new too. :clap:

The A64 system means keeping the aged video card and perhaps the aged RAM - assuming it would even work..

Money is always a problem =0 Even worse for the aviation major who is working on his license and ratings... (Now that stuff is expensive ;p)

Teger said:
The A64 system means keeping the aged video card and perhaps the aged RAM - assuming it would even work..

Money is always a problem =0 Even worse for the aviation major who is working on his license and ratings... (Now that stuff is expensive ;p)

Oh...I failed to read that. Maybe the XP Mobile is a more sound choice then financially. Everyone seems to love the performance of the XP Mobiles too so as far as bang for buck goes, it'll be just fine. Certainly an improvement over what you are struggling with now.

If image quality is important to you (and it should be) then an AXP Mobile + 9800 Pro will beat the A64 + Geforce4 for gaming hands down. Downside is that your upgrade path will be limited since you will have a socket 462 mobo (though the price is definitely attractive).

Back