• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win xp oem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smerko

Registered
just a curious qn. will be building a new pc soon and as such need a new os. will most likely get an oem version off ebay etc. what i would like to no is a question regarding the windows xp copies that are for dell machines. most of the sellers state that they will work fine with any pc and i have no problems with this but are they actually legal for use for people without dell machines? i am referring to the ones that come sealed with cd key etc but is it 'dodgy' in any way or just as valid as buying an official copy? thanks

I'd like to know if you can install a dell OEM copy of windows XP on any computer. I've heard from alot of people that you can't but some say it works fine. I have a dell laptop and the only difference I can see is that the Dell OEM copy doesnt need to be activated and I don't think it prompts you for a CD key when you install either. Something tells me it wouldnt install on my main rig, I should try sometime.

9mmCensor said:
Selling an OEM disk is illegal, and therefore cannot be discussed on this forum.

Selling an OEM disk is not necessarily illegal. Selling an OEM disk by itself is illegal....this is true. Selling an OEM disk in conjunction with a piece of hardware, ie. Motherboard, hard drive etc., is not. If you read the OEM software agreement, you will see this. Most sellers of OEM disks on ebay will say that some sort of hardware is included to cover the legalities of the situation. Whether or not the advertised piece of hardware is operational is another story. Is this an ethical practice?? Let your concsience be your own guide.

Cheers!!

Back