• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soyman

Registered
Hey guys...been out of the OCing loop for a while. Need some advice for a new system I'm planning to build. Here's what I'm looking at:

Best OCing AMD Athlon (XP or 64)
Best Mobo for ^^^^^^^
Best cooling (I'll take all suggestions from wc, phase-change, & peltier)

I could always go do some research, but I have no time for that right now.

Thanks for all the help.

A64 3200+ (3400+ is too expensive)
Chaintech nForce 3 250
Water cooling:
MCP600 for pump
Chevette heater core
tygon/clerflex60 (or whatever) tubing
and for waterblocks for the A64, I'm not really sure
I've heard watter wetter is good... someone else could give a better suggestion

don't know much about watercooling but if you want to go with an xp you can use the ABIT NF7-S REV 2.0 with a AMD MOBILE ATHLON XP-M 2600+

Hmmm...so the NForce2 chipset still outperforms the newer KT600 chipset?

Should I go with the 64 or stick with XP? If XP, then I guess I'll stick with the last config I had, which I left with my mom -- XP 2100+ OC'ed to 2.4GHz on an NF7 v.2.

And if I should go with WC, please go into some more detail for me as I have no experience or knowledge of working with WC.

don't go with socket a....go for a socket 754....if your gonna get a new system get a 64 bit processor and motherboard.

if you plan on going watercooling....hang out in the water cooling section and read up there....but basically, your replacing your heatsink and fan with an air setup to a waterblock to cool your cpu (and/or northbridge and/or gpu) the water is pushed around your sytem through tubes by a pump....the water in your system is cooled by a radiator....

thats a very very basic jist of water cooling...hang out in watercooling section and you'll learn a lot.

I'm not sure on my budget yet, but I do plan to go all out while saving a bit here and there...since I've been out of the OC loop, and rather busy lately, a few suggestions on good OCing 64-bit CPU/Mobo combos would be nice.

As for WC, I know the basics of it and how it works, just not the details, like what are the best parts out on the market (brand, type, etc.).

Back