• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox OC Forums Search Plugin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I just finished creating a plugin for firefox that allows you to do a forum search from the search box of a Firefox, or any Mozilla-based browser. There is now a second plugin that will allow you to do a user search, where you can see their previous posts. This is confirmed to work in Firefox, Firebird, and Phoenix.

Instructions:
=========
  • Click here, and select "Install OC Post Search Plugin Now", and/or select "Install OC User Search Plugin Now"
Or,
  • Click here to download and install manually.

Manual Installation:
==============
Unzip into your Firefox/searchplugins directory. Should be something like C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins
Then restart your browser and enjoy!

Last edited:
You da man! :D

It took me a minute to find the install location in linux, but once I did....
Guess how I found this thread again?
:D

CrashOveride said:
It found this post very well...
That awsome.
How did you go about making it su root? (A link to somwhere on it would be good.)
Actually, if you know HTML forms very well, and can read the source of the forums search page, then it's fairly easy to copy an example. If you are interested, take a look at the .src file, it's fairly straight forward.

I also whipped up an auto-install script to make it easier to install (see first post)

New version out:
+ Now has a second plugin that allows you to search by username, and see their recent posts (requested by IMOG) ;)

Both work excellently... Try out the search by username one to see what c627627, I, and kendan have been begging to have built into the forums.

We would like to see that username search done just like the view new posts link is done on the main page. This would allow IE users to join in the fun also... much better than find all posts by username or subscribing. The username search does what you want instantly, and finds all threads you have posted in, no matter when you posted, and lists them in order of what has been active recently.

Hey su root, have you considered submitting this search thing to be posted on the extension pages for firefox? They might be good publicity for our forums if they were accepted!

IMOG said:
Hey su root, have you considered submitting this search thing to be posted on the extension pages for firefox? They might be good publicity for our forums if they were accepted!
The place to submit this is mycroft. If upper management doesn't mind, then I'd be all for it.

Is there a way to get a link for this added to the 'Useful programs for everyone' sticky? And how about the main forum FAQ?? This is too good to hide in one little thread that might fall off the first page someday.

DWolf:cool:

Back