• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 64 need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superamd

I need to contact Silversinksam, I WILL BE BANNED
I think im gonna get this chip with this board. And I will actually post the OC results of a mobile 64. Can anyone tell me if I am going to run into any snags with this setup? I will be putting in pc3200 that goes to about 225 fsb curently. so that should take care of the multi problem (hopefully). What is the high multi this chip will have? is it 1600mhz based on a 200mhz bus (8x) or on a 166mhz bus? Any help is appreciated

Like l3ored said the VIA K8T800 has no PCI lock so you will run into problems around 220 FSB with overclocking. Pair that with a chip that has a multi of 8 I believe and your not getting very far IMHO. Nforce3 chipsets seem better for OCing, and the 250version has the PCI lock to let the CPU be thelimiting factor in your quest and not the motherboard.

This should've gone in the AMD CPU section, but whatever.

If I recall correctly, the 1.6 mobiles are only locked downward from their stock multiplier unlike the famed Socket 462 XPM. The 64Ms are multiplier down-locked for power management purposes.

I'd definitely find a board with a PCI bus lock.

I knew they were downward locked, I just need to know what the high multi is.... sorry about the wrong section

why 8x? i take it that its based on a 200mhz X 8 = 1600MHZ. But if the m-xp is clocked to a lower fsb (133) than the desktop maybe the m-64 is as well and you will have a higher multi. Anyone actually tried testing out a m-64 to see if it overclocks well?

i know this isnt the best way to back up my thinking but check this out. m-64 notebook, but look at the memory its 266 and 333 mhz, if the memory bus was running sync then it has to have higher than a 8x multi. 1600/133=12

that would be great

Don't buy that processor. Avoid Newcastles whenever possible. I would suggest the mobile 3000+, 3200+ if possible. Throttling is done via the multiplier. The A64's multipliers are perfect for AMD. No "super locking" or anything required. The stock multiplier is always the highest, mobile, desktop, whatever. For a board, I'd suggest the Gigabyte K8NS Pro. Do not waste your time with VIA. Snags you could run into are boards not booting properly with it, not POSTing at all, not allowing you to overclock from the BIOS, but I doubt any of those would be present in a newer board such as the K8NS.

Also, plan on running your memory asynchronously. (With respect to the HTT, strictly speaking, memory is always run async with the A64.)

Back