• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

58cfm @14db ?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah yes... the SilenX debate starts once more...

Most people's reaction to these fans is "That's impossible / they're lying / they rigged the tests". While I've never used the 120mm I am extremely familiar with the 80mm! Bascially 4 points to make:

o These fans push a fair amount of air and are completely silent in free air with a cold thermistor (the 14dBa is rated at 2200rpm for the 80mm) - but they are expensive!
o The thermistors are pretty sensitive tho - the "whoosh" from turbulent air kicks in pretty early - anything much over 2200 for that matter - and the temperatures don't have to be that high for that to happen. Go for the non-thermistor ones.
o However - you never get any bearing noise - it's just whoosh and not that loud a whoosh either. They are very well designed and very well built.
o They don't have alot of static pressure - hence while good for case fans, I wouldn't really recommend them as HSFs (despite the fact that I've got one!).

If you want quiet - these are quiet. My system is perfectly stable with just 2 SilenX 80mm case fans (one rear and one front intake - exhaust is out through the PSU and the Silencer).

Can they be purchased in the US? I have never heard of these miracle fans before...I would give one a try if I could buy one. But 14db??? How far away do they measure the noise??? 12ft???

well given that they're based in California...

As for 14dBa - see note above and many, many others...

mantrogo said:
well given that they're based in California...

As for 14dBa - see note above and many, many others...

Followed the link above to Cannada.

Sounds like marketting.....prove it to me...no rhetoric please... :p

the link above to bigfootcomputers was to a Canadian reseller - try www.silenx.com for the horses mouth.

As for proof of 14dBa - well without you flying over here with a meter... trust me they're silent at 2200rpm in free air - also plenty of reviews about the place, particularly with reagard to the PSU they do, which is basically a Fortron sourced unit with one of their own fans in it.

But note what I put above. The 14dBa is rated for 2200 rpm, and as with every other such manufacturers' statement applies to free air only. However, even in the case when completely cold at 1900-2050 rpm (MBM5) they are totally silent, but once the heat in the thermistors builds up you do start to get turbulence whoosh from - say - 2200 and above in the case (fastest they get to is 2700). That being said, there is never any bearing noise or unpleasant harmonics (as opposed to eg Noiseblocker which seems to have a viscious very high pitched component).

And before you ask I've no association with SilenX or any other component manufacturer, reseller or any other company even remotely involved in the IT industry. Just a customer.

I was gonna buy one from BigFoot but they are sold out grr.

BTW, mantrogo, if I buy the one with the "thermistors", can I remove them? So that it does not go north of 2200rpm ?

T20 - I have wondered the same thing. While I have 2 spare after changing my airflow and reducing the number of casefans, given how much they cost I've been reluctant to snip off the thermistor as an experiment. Really it depends on the thermistor and the control electronics. There are 2 sorts - one sees resistance going up in a linear fashion with temperature, one sees resistance going down in a power / exponential fashion with higher temperature. So ... dunno...

On the other hand, other people have replaced the thermistor with a pot, which sounds like a good plan - apparently 100K is a good value, but like I say, I don't know for sure and haven't done the experiment myself.

The company does now do non-thermistor controlled ones at all sizes (inc. 60mm!).

Please keep us informed as to how the 120mm performs!

They are a small store here in Toronto, Canada. Went there to get some AS5. I was looking at some of the 80mm Silenx fans, expensive is right, but quiet. I'm still debating whether or not to try them.

I have the 120mm one. It is very quiet, silent. The max is 58 cfm but the rpm never hits max so the actual cfm may be a little less. I've used it in comparison to the Antec 120 mm that comes with the Antec Sonata case. Compared to that, its a bit weaker, if you will. Here are their stats:

Silenex
1800 rpm 58 cfm 14 db

Antec

2000 rpm 79 cfm 20 db (Fan only)

With the Antec hooked up at a lower volt (Fan only), it might not give out 79 cfms. It should be closer to 58 cfms. In my system, it usually runs at 1700 rpm ~ 60 cfm.

If I were to rate the two, Silenex seems to push about 4/5 of what the Antec does. But comparable overall in efficiency. In terms of noise, 6 db seems to make a lot of diff. Antec is definitely more audible. At this rate, you'r just fighting the whooshing noise of the air. No buzz, no hum, just a big whoosh.

Back