• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

booting problems with 2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vncent_0

My computer was having problems finding the bootsector (always fun 'eh?) and giving me all these errors, so I reformatted my drives, put in my windows 2k cd and started from that, waited for it to do its thing, then when it restarted, it loads to a completely blank, black screen, no cursor, nothing, and it runs like that until I hit the power off button =/ any ideas?

If you the hard disk utilities floppy that came the drive, I would boot to it low-level format the drive and start again. Could be a bad spot on the drive that a low-level will flag as bad and mark as unusable. Good Luck.

What kind of disk is it?? You may be able to download the utuilities from the manufacturers website.

Yeah you can d/l drive utilities from the manufacturer's website.

Problem is, if there IS a bad sector, a low level format will not flag it. Low level formats are actually not recommended in most cases becuase they will actually delete flags for bad sectors previously marked.

But, a low level format should help fix any problems like a boot sector virus.

Back