• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S issues going over 3.2V VDIMM...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

My volt modded NF7-S is giving me the long beep if I set my VDIMM over 3.2 could a vbt/vtt volt mod fix this? According to the Abit beep codes its a power supply issue but I don't have low rails so I'm not sure about that. Any thought? :confused:

I ran mine up to 3.3v and never had this problem with the 18 BIOS. In your case I might try modding the 3.3v rail. I'll bet that would fix it.

The long beep I though was due to memory error on post....but I could be wrong.

The Vtt mod will not fix this problem....I have a NF7 without the Vbt mod that runs a Vdimm upwards of 3.4v without issue.

I agree with Maxi....do the 3.3v rail mod or lower the Vdimm to 3v.

What is your 3.3v rail sitting at now.....take a real reading not hte bios reading.

You mean the mod where I run the 3.3v line directly to the ram. Like here? I realize that's the wrong board but same idea right? Anyone have a link to doing it on an NF7-S?

Sorry for my ignorance but where do I check the 3.3V? Do I need to take the board out or can I do it somewhere on front? Thanks so far.

I'm using the Trats modded d24 BIOS so I figure it should be ok but I'll give others a shot as well.

Well I did some working and changed to the TicTac D24 Sub Zero BIOS and it still wouldn't do much. It would get into windows but would fail Prime even at stock at 3.2V and still not post at 3.3V. I turned the vdimm down to 3.1V and it works fine. I'm only priming 200 to set a base but all seems well after about 2 hours. Weird, but hey it works. I guess it works like the low vdd high fsb.

wannaoc said:
You mean the mod where I run the 3.3v line directly to the ram. Like here? I realize that's the wrong board but same idea right? Anyone have a link to doing it on an NF7-S?

Sorry for my ignorance but where do I check the 3.3V? Do I need to take the board out or can I do it somewhere on front? Thanks so far.

I'm using the Trats modded d24 BIOS so I figure it should be ok but I'll give others a shot as well.

No....I dont recommend that method of Vdimm. That makes it so that the dimms are always getting whatever the 3.3v rail is set to....and thats alot of voltage for 24/7 use imho.

What I meant by the 3.3v rail mod is to mod the 3.3v rai of the psu so that it is running 3.5v or higher.

Look at the ATX COnnector and find the orange wire at the corner that also has thin orange (or brown) wire running into the same slot. The thin wire is the Sense wire and is the mod point. The fixed resistor in the pic should be between 40-70 ohms, and the VR can be between 1k-10k. Here is a pic of how to do it:

3.3rail Vmod.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I'll give that a shot, seems like a pretty simple mod after all. Is there an easy place to stick the ground on the plug? One of the COM spots for example? I figure I can use the fan plug near it but that adds another removal step.

Just splice it into one of the grounds(black), to the ATX itself going by HF pic. That is they way I did it. I used a fixed resistor of 1K however, and I am curious to ask Hell if the one he recommends comes from a newer find than mine which is sourced from Macci. I still see some line fluctuation and I am wondering if this lower K fixed would maybe help that.

Wannoc, you need to check your 3.3 rail directly from the power supply. There is a connector that feed's 3.3 there. I can read mine(and I don't even know what this particular connector if used for), on one that is not used and doesn't look like any of the other's. Just push a small wire into the socket(s) until you find the correct one and read with a multimeter. How are you measuring your VDIM now? From the board via MM, or MBM5 or something like that?

Yea I'm using mbm5 and on the modded mosfet itself for voltages. Once I set it over 2.0V mbm5 sticks right at about 2.35 for some reason but the mosfet shows 3.3V+. My computer starts acting really odd when I set it to 3.3V, loading the wrong settings (600 CPU speed, 200 memory clock, etc) so I think it might be the psu not keeping up with voltage requirements.

Maxi I'm not sure what you mean by where to read the 3.3 on the psu. Is there any chance you could give me a pic of it?

OK, this is off a very old power supply, but the connector is exactly the same. I do not know what this is used for, but both of my Antec's have one of them. So I just read from the orange wire(that the Antec's have but this does not), and that's the true 3.3v. If your does not have an orange, just read them one at a time until you find the 3.3 as I believe if you have this connector, it's there.

connector.jpg

Oh that thing, I didn't even think of it because I always remove them. I'll check it out, thanks.

I changed back to trats d24 and it passed prime at 230 with the vdimm at 3.25 on the mosfet and 3.1 on mbm5. I'm testing 235 but I think I hit my limit with the ram only at 3.2V. I was told to expect 2,3,2 240 with 3.2 and I'm running 2,2,2 so I should lose a little I guess. Once I do this 3.3 mod hopefully I can get up more. Thanks for the help so far. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm gonna subcribe to this thread. I have been thinkin' of doing this mod to my psu...but...I'm trying to build up enough guts to do it. I don't wanna waste my PCpower&cooling 510 deluxe...maybe I will try it on a 300w Compusa generis psu that I have first?

Doesn't the PC P&C 510 have adjustable rails? I thought it had pots you could access through holes in the PSU casing. Do those not raise the voltage enough?

ZachM said:
Doesn't the PC P&C 510 have adjustable rails? I thought it had pots you could access through holes in the PSU casing. Do those not raise the voltage enough?

Yes it does have adjustable pots. On my model you have to remove the cover. I sent an e-mail to pcpower&cooling about it the other day, here is thier response:
Kraig,

I will attach a pdf file in which you will be able to find the internal 3.3V pot. (Look at the second page of the pdf file.) I recommend you only use a real PAT (Potentiometer Adjustment Tool) to make voltage adjustments. At most, the internal pots will permit a plus or minus 2% voltage adjustment. I do not recommend your using a little screw driver since it may give you a healthy shock. Please locate a PAT. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mick Keily
Tech Support
PC Power & Cooling, Inc.
(800) 722-6555
(760) 931-6988 FAX

I did adjust it with a little screw dirver...safely...but the voltage increase just didn't happen. I checked the voltage with my V-dimm trimmer turned up all the way and it still registered at 3.28 volts...no 2% increase. It was actually the same voltage that I was getting before the adjustment.

I am going to try the sense line mod in the near future.

Chances are they put a very limiting adjustment on it. They wouldn't want you to over adjust it and cause an RMA afterall. :)

I am picking up the parts for the mod in a bit and hopefully will get to it later today.

EDIT: Ok I was doing some final testing before I do the mod and the 3.3 reads 3.34 via the orange wire shown above.

Well after taking the psu out it stopped working for no reason. Nothing changed, no shorting anywhere, no mod yet, nothing, just won't stay running. I'll double check it but I think its dead. :mad:

Last edited:
Well somehow during the process of trying this mod I have killed THREE power supplies. With each one but the last they have all just died for no reason BEFORE the mod! The third died when I had the mod installed and changed from a 10k pot to a 1k pot. They all will turn on for a split second, the fan will barely move then nothing. I can't figure it out, its like something is shorting out but I didn't change anything! No dark spots inside anywhere, no smoke, just nothing.WTF! I think I have some curse... Don't touch the cans!

AAAhhhhhhh! wannaoc is the curse bearer!! :-/

Daaaaaa-aaaang bro! That is some prime bogus! Do they run if you remove the trimmer & resistor? How is your mobo? Have you tried to run the mobo with a regular non-modded psu?

The two that have died without the mod don't work in or out of a PC and the third I haven't tried in a PC. I'm letting it sit and hopefully something will change.

Back