• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No power connector on the X800 Pro PCI-E!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It'll still have one... It just won't be absolutely nesscary to use it (kinda like how you don't absolutely need both molexes on the 6800). And it better not be nesscary to use it since my PSU sure dosen't have a 6-pin connector! :D

*SUPIDITY EDIT -- Didn't see the "pro" in the title :) You can ignore me now :D
JigPu

Sticking the competition in the eye? :eh?: I don't know about most people, but the use of an extra power connection means very little to me.

Neat though. :)

Also possible that NVidia will have a similar setup. I would think that most of the people on this board (Overclockers) would already have a fairly large power supply anyhow so I really don't see what the big deal is. I've even got a 550 and I don't even overclock. Also the X800 Pro is not comparable to 6800 Ultra, the X800XT is it's direct competition so we'll have to see what they do there. I currently have a 9800XT and love it, but am getting sick of "ATI is better than Nvida" crap. I've had both and they both make decent cards. Get over it.

"thats a nice find least now u dont have to worry to much about having a 480+watt PSU "

Regardless of where the power comes from, it's still being supplied by the PSU. If that extra power it uses comes from the PCI Express slot, or a molex connector, it's still using virtually the same amount of power from the PSU.

And as for 480W PSU being a requirement, none of the new cards have that, not even the 6800 Ultra.

PreservedSwine said:
Is that unusual? The PCI slot provides more power than an AGP, so will nVidi'a PCI-E need an extra power slot

Yeah it is unusual. The PCI-E slot only provides 75w so most high end cards will have an extra power connector, which i dont like personaly. If I can buy a card that provides high-end gaming (lets face it the X800 Pro is a great card compaired to anything you can buy today) and does not need extra power to do it, then call me happy. Plus to me it means less heat to deal with as a bonus. ;)

tjr1973 said:
Also the X800 Pro is not comparable to 6800 Ultra, the X800XT is it's direct competition so we'll have to see what they do there. I currently have a 9800XT and love it, but am getting sick of "ATI is better than Nvida" crap. I've had both and they both make decent cards. Get over it.

Lotta attitude there bud, I did not say anything about nVidia's products. The X800 Pro IS in fact the 6800U's competition, but thats a different thread, so be nice and go hijack someone elses thread for your rant....

IMOG said:
I don't know about most people, but the use of an extra power connection means very little to me.

It bugs the heck outta me though. That power connecter to my 9800Pro runs right through the middle of my case and disrupts the air flow through my system...granted not by much...but with high OC's I'd like to optimize airflow. But really the bigger issue is also the lower power required of the card (PCI-E max's at 75w not 80w as previously posted) means less heat to deal with. Since I dont do volt mod's to my cards core the hope is the card will OC nicley and stay relatively cool while doing it....

Last edited:
Mr.Radar said:
If they don't have the power connector on the X800 Pros then will we be able to OC them as much? I wouldn't think so...

I doubt it would make any real difference. The vast majority of OC's right now are done by pushing the core speed up as far as it will go wthout volt mod's since most are unwilling to void the cards warrenty. Only folks wanting to do a volt mod based OC would have to worry about stressing the PCI-E slot, but even then I doubt that would be a problem since no one designs a card to run at 100% of available power, there's always some margin to allow for the power levels changing due to load and tempurature, etcetera.

Back