• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Cooler minus Backplate, so need advice reapllying stock heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hempmaster

Registered
HI I bought the Arctic Cooler and a Sapphire 9800 PRO 128MB Lite today. I went home to put the cooler on the graphics card. I started witht he graphics card by preparing it and r4emoving teh stock heatsink and the standard bracket. I done this then unpacked the cooler only to find that they never provided me with the back plate so I cant really put it on, after sending my frustration in an email to the vendor I have no choice but to put the stock one on for now and just use that until I recive a replacemnt.

My question is do I have to remove the themal paste from it and reapply maybe some arctic silver 5 to put the stock heatsink on again or can I just put it back on as it didnt seem like your normal CPU stuff on there.

Thanks for your help

Hi please someone help, many a times have people just ignored me in this forum but this time I really need some help becuase I wana use my graphics card for now until they replace the cooler but im not sure if I have to reapply the thermal paste on to the GPU considering I havne tcleaned th eold stuff off yet, please I know its a noobie question but if I dont ask how will I know.

Thanks

im not really understanding your question, but ill take a stab at it.....' or can I just put it back on as it didnt seem like your normal CPU stuff on there'???? well you have to reapply a thermal paste anyway. if you have AS5 you should use it, unless you're frugal and don't want to waste it since you know its coming off soon then use the white goop, if you only have white goop use it and get some AS5, if you have nothing go get some AS5 :clap: :burn:

Yeah, you should reapply thermal paste when you remove the heatsink, or else you'll be seeing high tempratures/artifacting, and Artic Silver 5 (AS5) is really good stuff.

although I didn't understand your problem with the Artic cooler.
Back plate?

Hmm, kinda odd. Isn't that blue support bracket visible thru the package? Unless he's talking about the backplate that comes on the stock XT thinking that's what suppose to be in the package along with the Artic Cooler?

Yes, it does come with the VGA silencer in the package. So I have no idea what hempmaster is talking about, sorry padre.

Besides the blue thing there is no and no need for a backing plate.

To clean it off, use some rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol - 70% or above (90% would be ideal). Just take a cotton swab with some alcohol on it and rub it over the core, and the goop will come off. Then dry it with a lint-free cloth (like a lens cloth for glasses ... if you don't have one, a paper towel will suffice), let it sit and dry for a couple minutes more (assuming you didn't get alcohol all over the place, it should dry pretty fast), then apply some AS5 and put the stock heatsink back on.

If there's still a lot of thermal paste already on the core, you probably don't HAVE to reapply it, but it would be a good idea to clean it off and put AS5 on there, anyway.

Hi thanks for your replys, im sorry for my confusing wording but I was rushing my typing. What I mean by backplate, is the metal cover that goes at the end of the graphics card which covers the actual VGA socket and you also you use it to screw the card firmly to the case. Yes it is supposed to be in the packaging but as I ordered it via the net and have never had one before I didnt realise I was missing it until it was too late. So I can put the Coooler on but I wont be able to screw it in to the motherboard adn I dont have anywre to put the HI/LOW Switch as it sits on the plate accorsding to the instructions. On step 5 of the following link you can see teh backplate which is double the size of a normal one. I hope this makes more sense.

I did actually have loads of the original paste still on there and I only want to use the card like this until I recive the missing part of my cooler, so what I was aking was is that ok or should I reapply with Arctic Silver?

I hope this a bit less confusing to you all

Thanks

Now I understand.. You should be able to use it with the original "backplate" wouldn't you? If you don't mind having a loose hi/low switch. Well, anyways, it's all clear now ;)

If you got some Artic Silver, you might as well just apply it. You hardly use any to cover the core, and besides the original paste that's there will decrease in cooling performance if you don't apply new, but it's not absolutly necessary

Ahhh, the slot plate with the vent. Now i know what you're talkin about :bang head

Yeah, your best bet is to send that one back and request a new one. Also tell them to make sure it's complete. :D

Thanks for your help guys appreciate a lot, I eventually put the 9800 on only to find it was a bit glitchy on games such as far cry and battlefield vietnam so I got a bit worried that I may be overheating the core so I havwe removed it and am just going to wait until I get my cooler back and put the geforce 4 on for now, in which I belive had better gaming perfromance on for some reason even though the 98000 gave me a benchmark of around 17500 which is like 4000 more than the geforce 4.

Im sure this is totally wrong and the 9800 should flow like the water on far cry does any one else have this problem?

Hempmaster said:
....... put the geforce 4 on for now, in which I belive had better gaming perfromance on for some reason even though the 98000 gave me a benchmark of around 17500 which is like 4000 more than the geforce 4......

i noticed the same thing, when i switched from the fx5900 to x800. the ati card isn't as smooth and seems to draw slower, you will get used to it though

so its not just my imagiantion nor my card, but what does this mean that I should just stayed with the Geforce 4 as gaming peformance is more important to me than benchmark results, does anyone else have this issue were there old NVIDIA seemed to have better gaming performance than the new ATI?

This might be worth its own thread!

well I used Detonator RIP to removwe all the detonator drivers then installed the latest drivers from ATI, should I use an older driver maybe as I have already asked this before but was told my best bet was to stick with the latest ones but maybe I should have used an older driver.

i notice the drawing of the grass in far cry demo is faster on the nvidia cards than the ati cards. at first i thought it was jsut me and i tested it a couple of times.

I don't want to be biased towards one company, but aren't most games optimized for nVidia cards?

I know Far Cry is.

Back