• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which HDD? Seagate or Western Digital?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
get the WD as it is very reliable and has the least War stories behind it...iv'e had nothing but WD's throghout my computer history and ive had nothing but good times..

I've had seagates and western digitals and if you are going for silence, seagates are dead silent. Plus taht seagate is SATA, if you have onboard SATA, go with it. I just my two SATA drives today and am amazed at the performance boost. Hitachis are a nice alternative too, quiet, fast, and cheap.

BTW, you might as well go with a bigger drive, 80 GBs are almost 1.00 a GB versus something like a 160 which goes for 60 cents ish for a GB (105.00 for a 160 GB SATA @ zipzoomfly.com Hitachi of course :D).

well, one is ide and one is sata...but otherwise....i'd go seagate....i had to rma a western digital not so long ago and my friends have had some trouble with them...

i just like seagates better

If your rig can support SATA, then roll with it. I'm saving my pennies for a couple so I can set up my raid.

Seagates are silent and seemingly indestructible....I have tons of them on 24/7 for ages and none have ever failed. Where I used to work I witnessed the failure of about 5 WD's in a 4 month span throughout the office, none of them were more than 1.5-2 years old. So I stay away from them.

Zipzoomfly sells for a tad bit cheaper I believe.

I just bought two of the Hitachi's and I can't believe on what I was missing out on. Although, nothing (besides SCSIs) can beat WD Raptors.

reasons why WD may have broken out so early is because of HEAT...mayb Seagates can take more heat but i kno a WD will outlive seagate under the right conditions...hinting you should put a fan over them simple

Sophisticated said:
reasons why WD may have broken out so early is because of HEAT...mayb Seagates can take more heat but i kno a WD will outlive seagate under the right conditions...hinting you should put a fan over them simple

Then how are seagates with cold weather? :p I had 4 seagate 20gig drives die when I lived in the mountains but had no problems with the WD drives. But I hear the Cudda Vs are the best out from them, so i'm gonna try my hand with those soon.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Then how are seagates with cold weather? :p I had 4 seagate 20gig drives die when I lived in the mountains but had no problems with the WD drives.

Wow, really? I've never wittnessed the death of a Seagate. I've been using Seagate drives since the early 90s and they've never let me down. They used to be louder than other drives (at least on the SCSI end of the spectrum) but now they're pretty quiet. I would recommend Seagate, but I haven't used many WD drives, so I can't recommend against WD either.

Cerberus2k7 said:
Then how are seagates with cold weather? :p I had 4 seagate 20gig drives die when I lived in the mountains but had no problems with the WD drives. But I hear the Cudda Vs are the best out from them, so i'm gonna try my hand with those soon.

if the in the mountains is cold well there you go now you know how Seagates are:D

Back