Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > General CPU Discussion
General CPU Discussion
Forum Jump

Anyone Benchmarked Hyperthreading.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 10:48 PM Thread Starter   #1
@/2ct!<

Anyone Benchmarked Hyperthreading.....

I was just wondering if there have been any solid comparisons of various multitasking programs with A64 and a P4 with hyperthreading, all the reviews of processors have one program or another running, but no two at once. I know P4 should have better results, but I want to see how much better. Any personal insights are always welcome too.
@/2ct!< is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-03-04, 10:57 PM   #2
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by @/2ct!<
I know P4 should have better results, but I want to see how much better. Any personal insights are always welcome too.
Better at what? That's a very broad statement. The top of the line P4 and A64 are relatively close in many things. The A64 wins some and the P4 wins some. A lot of reviewers have included benchmarks with HT enabled. Are you looking for a particular program?

Old 06-03-04, 11:00 PM Thread Starter   #3
@/2ct!<

I just meant with two + large programs in general, I was looking for like a suite of tests with like encoding& gaming, photoshop and encoding, etc. I just want to know how much better hyperthreadings is on average than non hyperthreading.
Old 06-03-04, 11:05 PM   #4
TC
Senior Seti Addict

10 Year Badge

Anandtech would be a good place to start. If you like soap operas head on over to [T] or [H]

Old 06-04-04, 02:27 AM   #5
SLee

Here's a thread that deals with the subject:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y

Typical gains from running two CPU intensive applications simultaneously on a HT processor are about 10-30% increase in throughput.
SLee is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-04-04, 02:40 AM   #6
CandymanCan
Disabled

That a big increase, AMD should have put something on the cpu's like Hyperthreading, cuss if they did they would be leadng in 3d apps which they are now and tied or better in Multi apps.
CandymanCan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-04-04, 02:54 AM   #7
DayUSeX

just wondering, is it legal for amd to put somethign like hyper threading in? isnt that like a patent infrignment(even if its a differnt name).

And again its better to say what you are doing. Personally if you think you are goign to need a system with HT, just get an SMP you will be muhc more happier.
DayUSeX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-04-04, 02:58 AM   #8
CandymanCan
Disabled

Yea but putting something like that the proc's we all buy is just an Added bonus, specially if the A64 had it, the proc would be just a Unstapable monster
CandymanCan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-04-04, 01:17 PM Thread Starter   #9
@/2ct!<

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayUSeX
just wondering, is it legal for amd to put somethign like hyper threading in? isnt that like a patent infrignment(even if its a differnt name).

And again its better to say what you are doing. Personally if you think you are goign to need a system with HT, just get an SMP you will be muhc more happier.
Not really, they have cross liscencsing agreements, which is why AMD uses x86 and why Intel has no problem using x86-64. I personally wouldnt multitask much, I was just curious at how effective it was just in case..
Old 06-04-04, 01:47 PM   #10
Avg

Maybe they didn't include it in there processor because they plan to make dual cored cpus instead. (I hope)

Old 06-04-04, 11:23 PM   #11
man_utd

It's called SMT, and no it's not really patented, just some different ways of putting it into a processor are patented.
man_utd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-04, 04:28 PM   #12
dguy6789

HT helps a P4, because it has such a long pipeline, some data doesnt get to the end in time, and must start over, leaving extra room in the pipe. HT prepares data to take that place if the first set of data goes back, so that no matter what, the entire pipeline of the cpu is in use, therefore being much more efficient.

HT would not benefit that athlon 64 at all, as it has a very short, and super efficient pipeline system, and data that gets sent back(if any) will be back where it was before any SMT technology could replace if with something else. That is why amd doesnt use it, nor intend to any time soon.
dguy6789 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-04, 08:27 PM   #13
Yuriman

I was reading this post and was getting ready to reply when I saw dguy's post. I wouldnt have explained it the same way, but in general he is right.
Yuriman is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > General CPU Discussion
General CPU Discussion