• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it true the Chaintech A64 board doesnt work with mobile a64's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
The CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" board i was ganna buy cuss it seemed perfect for me, i dont need the features the GB boards have, and reviews show this board can do 270+ fsb, i was wondering tho, iwasp lanning on getting a 3000+ 1mb L2 Mobile A64 for the board, but someone told me ina PM that the only board that works with mobiles is that Gigabyte board. The only way he said to get the Mobile to work is to have a desktop A64 and flash to Beta bios then put the Mobile but even then itll have a 4x multi .

Is this true, i dont want to get the Gigabyte board cuss i read on this one forum that like 10 people are having problems with it, plus i dont like the 2.7v for the memory that isnt enough.

Do i have to spend the extra $70 for the desktop 3200+ or will the mobile work in the chaintech board.

CandymanCan said:
The CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" board i was ganna buy cuss it seemed perfect for me, i dont need the features the GB boards have, and reviews show this board can do 270+ fsb, i was wondering tho, iwasp lanning on getting a 3000+ 1mb L2 Mobile A64 for the board, but someone told me ina PM that the only board that works with mobiles is that Gigabyte board. The only way he said to get the Mobile to work is to have a desktop A64 and flash to Beta bios then put the Mobile but even then itll have a 4x multi .

Is this true, i dont want to get the Gigabyte board cuss i read on this one forum that like 10 people are having problems with it, plus i dont like the 2.7v for the memory that isnt enough.

Do i have to spend the extra $70 for the desktop 3200+ or will the mobile work in the chaintech board.

I told you this and it is correct, put up the quote I sent you. You can confirm this over at amdmb.com thats where I got the info. It was posted by owners of the Chaintech board.

CK

Snifff... Bar how well does the ASROCK board perform iv never even heard of that kind name before, an reviews ? I wonder if i get the chaintech board if some local pc shop will let me use thier A64 to flash the bios on the board .... LOL.

So far it seems like thier is no good board for these cpu's, at least one that overclocks well and doesnt have any problems with mobiles. The asus sure is the only one without problems but i heard that board sucks.

Last edited:
The Asus board does suck; I got rid of it after 2 days. I'm doing a personal three way shootout on three boards- the ASRock K8S8X, the Chaintech VNF3-250, and the MSI K8N Neo Platinum with both a DTR processor and a Newcastle desktop, both CG revision. I'll post results late next week in the thread I pointed you to.

Frankly, the ASRock is still the hands down best K8 motherboard on the market but it's limited for overclockers - no voltage options. But performance wise it just owns VIA and nVidia where it counts, in SATA, IDE, and NIC performance. Gaming performance is at the top or right there across the board.

The Chaintech on the other hand is more an overclockers board with voltage adjustment but it's not as stable nor is it nearly as fast as the ASRock, but then again it's not Chaintech's fault, SiS's 964 southbridge is the best thing out there, right there with Intel.

Well ill be looking for the benchies, for now im trying to find to reviews on that Asrock board, iv never heard good things about SIS so its hard to belive that thier chips ownes all..

Sadly you say its overclock is limited so i wont be getting that board.. Unlike you with 3 diff mobo 2 diff cpu's ... i can only afford something once so i need to find the best i can get. Thats why im seriusly considering to wait or forget A64 cuss right now its seems like thier nothing but trouble.

Last edited:
Not necessarily trouble but you do have to carefully select the parts. Intel chipsets are more plug and play so to speak while the nForce chipsets seem to be finicky and quirky. The Chaintech's a great board for the price and it overclocks as well as any board out there. But I'm not that big on overclocking, rather I want a board that overclocks decently and is blazing fast in everything and that's why I still have the ASRock which also has a PCI/AGP lock (the first Athlon 64 board to have it)

Here's some reviews to get you started (altavista translations are your frien ;)):
http://www.planet3dnow.de/artikel/hardware/asr_k8s8x/index.shtml
http://www.allround-pc.com/index.php?reviews/04033/bericht.htm
http://www.tweakup.dk/article/322/dk/
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/asrock/k8s8x/k8s8x-1.htm

Good info bar. So this begs the question; where the hell are all the SiS boards? You know from real vendors (not that asus's asrock is'nt) that care about the OC community? Asus, Abit, MSI, DFI??

Just get the Gigabyte. It's by far the most solid out there. I don't know what this "one forum" is, but I bet they don't know what they're talking about. And as for the HTT, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but HTT != FSB. It's dependent on the processor, and as such any board can go up into the high 300's as long as PCI locks and a low enough LDT multiplier is available.

CandymanCan said:
Snifff... Bar how well does the ASROCK board perform iv never even heard of that kind name before, an reviews ? I wonder if i get the chaintech board if some local pc shop will let me use thier A64 to flash the bios on the board .... LOL.

So far it seems like thier is no good board for these cpu's, at least one that overclocks well and doesnt have any problems with mobiles. The asus sure is the only one without problems but i heard that board sucks.

I am in talks with a guy who owns 3 of the Chaintech boards 1- 150 NF3 and 2- 250 NF3 non GB boards, he has had great luck with them he has a 3200's on them and they both overclock well.

I will get more info about the board, I am just gonna get either a Newcastle 3000 used or a new 3200 clawhammer

BeerHunter said:
Good info bar. So this begs the question; where the hell are all the SiS boards? You know from real vendors (not that asus's asrock is'nt) that care about the OC community? Asus, Abit, MSI, DFI??

That's what I would like to know. The 755 is such a great chipset and had AGP/PCI lock long before the new nvidia boards. Asus was supposed to have one and then balked at the last minute. Same with Gigabyte. Abit has always been VIA's ***** so no surprise there. Rumor has it that we should see an Asus mobo based on the new SiS 755FX chipset from Asus. Given that Asus actually makes top flight SiS boards, I would think that's the logical choice at this point.

Gautam said:
Just get the Gigabyte. It's by far the most solid out there. I don't know what this "one forum" is, but I bet they don't know what they're talking about. And as for the HTT, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but HTT != FSB. It's dependent on the processor, and as such any board can go up into the high 300's as long as PCI locks and a low enough LDT multiplier is available.

The Gigabyte isn't a good choice simply because it stuffs every peripheral on the PCI bus.

Is it possible Chaintech could make them work with a bios revision. I hope to see how the MSI performs, though I am mad it has a 300 HTT ceiling...

Bar81 said:
The Gigabyte isn't a good choice simply because it stuffs every peripheral on the PCI bus.
How is this more important than stability and overclockability?

As soon as someone provides some evidence that having many PCI devices causes a remotely palpable performance decrease, I'll buy it. Until then, it doesn't matter the slightest to me, and I don't see why it should. At least the Gigabyte works with mobiles and DTR's. The K8N Neo looks like a good bet too, but no ones ever tried it yet, so who knows?

Gautam said:
And as for the HTT, I don't know how many times I have to say this, but HTT != FSB. It's dependent on the processor, and as such any board can go up into the high 300's as long as PCI locks and a low enough LDT multiplier is available.

The various relationship between the frequencies of CPU, memory, HT, FSB is

hitechjb1 said:

Overclocking setting for various bus frequencies

In A64 system, there is no external FSB per se, there are the CPU, the memory bus, the HT bus. The FSB may still be there internally to the CPU. The FSB still exists in motherboard bios to set various frequencies.

1. CPU_frequency = FSB x CPU_multiplier

2. memory_bus_frequency = CPU_frequency / CPU_memory_divider
... where CPU_memory_divider is an integer,
... in additional to the RAS/CAS timings of tRAS, tRCD, tRP, CAS.
... Can run any speed (ASYNC) using the CPU_memory_divider, to match memory module speed.
... Slow or faster memory can be used to get whatever bandwidth allowed in the memory modules.
... No memory bandwidth efficiency loss due to ASYNC in A64 (95%+ for 754)
... FSB = memory_bus_frequency (SYNC),
... e.g. FSB = 200 MHz, CPU_multiplier = x10, CPU_memory_divider = 10,
... memory_bus_frequency = 200 MHz, CPU_frequency = 2000 MHz
... In general, FSB != memory_bus_frequency (ASYNC)
... e.g. FSB = 240 MHz, CPU_multiplier = 10, CPU_memory_divider = 12,
... memory_bus_frequency = 200 MHz, CPU_frequency = 2400 MHz

3. AGP_frequency
... Can be set independently if motherboard/chipset have PCI/AGP lock such as w/ chipset Nforce3 250 GB. Not sure about the PCI/AGP lock of K8T800 Pro.
... E.g. AGP can be adjusted to hold constant at 66, 67, 68, ... MHz independent of the FSB overclocking.

4. HT_bus_frequency = FSB x HT_multiplier
... E.g. FSB = 200 MHz, 1X to 5X for HT from 200 MHz to 1000 MHz

5. CPU mulitplier is CPU specific, some can be adjusted from below up to the stock multiplier of the CPU.
E.g. A64 754 3200+, stock 2GHz = 200x10, multiplier X10, X9, X8, X7, ....

For desirable overclocking control, one should be able to set these frequencies independently as shown above. Exact bios naming may vary.

Ref:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2749000&postcount=8

Last edited:
@/2ct!< said:
Is it possible Chaintech could make them work with a bios revision. I hope to see how the MSI performs, though I am mad it has a 300 HTT ceiling...

there is a new bios as well as betas that already solve the problem. If you have access to a desktop A64 chip it is not an issue. Its an issue for those , like me that have this board but getting access to a spare desktop cpu is a plain hassle. For me I do not have the time to hunt down a desktop chip to borrow I just want to stick a chip in and be on my way

Ck

Gautam said:

Get the Gigabyte? What does that mean, your as confused about "one forum" as I am about "the gigabyte"? GA-K8NS PRO, GA-K8N PRO, GA-K8VT800, GA-K8VT800M, GA-K8VNXP or GA-K8NNXP are all options. Second can you verify the mobiles work in any of these boards? :confused:

Edit And finally there is the SiS board GA-K8S760M w/ SiS760/964.... Now I don't know about 760 but the south bridge gets killer reviews...

Last edited:
Bar81 said:
That's what I would like to know. The 755 is such a great chipset and had AGP/PCI lock long before the new nvidia boards. Asus was supposed to have one and then balked at the last minute. Same with Gigabyte. Abit has always been VIA's ***** so no surprise there. Rumor has it that we should see an Asus mobo based on the new SiS 755FX chipset from Asus. Given that Asus actually makes top flight SiS boards, I would think that's the logical choice at this point.

Here's one with the 760 which overclockersworkbench seems to like. All we can hope gigabyte is the first top teir maker the make a 755FX board since they seems willing to work with SiS (or ASUS as you noted)... I'm a fan of mATX since I don't usually use but one PCI for audio and the AGP. And it allows fitment in nice small cases like the antec aria and other mATX. Anyway I know this does'nt halp address the orginal posters question about mobiles working. Anyway

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/gigabyte/K8S760M/K8S760M-1.htm

"In terms of overclocking, this board has a FSB range of up to 250Mhz. We were surprised that the board came with overclocking options like Vdimm, Vagp, Vcore. This is a surprising move of Gigabyte to have all these options in the BIOS. The only option that is missing is the multiplier control.

In our overclocking tests, we used our Corsair XMS3500C2 module running at CAS 2.5, 8-4-4. We managed to POST up to 220MHz FSB. Unfortunately, we can only get it to run well at 220MHz FSB steadily with 3DMark2001SE/2003 at CPU:DRAM = 1:1 SYNC mode. Next, we tested it using ASync mode running CPU:DRAM 200:166 and we managed to get it to POST up to 230 but unstable.

Overall, if you are waiting for an integrated solution that performs at levels of SiS 755. This board from Gigabyte is definitely a rock stable board to consider. The only disappointment is that it seems like a difficult board to overclock. Could this be because of the tight timings set in the registers. Well that could be possible.

I would highly recommend this board to those into 64 bits computing !"

Back