• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gameplay Chuggin... Ideas anyone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hrdwrjnkie

OK, so I just got up and running with unreal 2004, and I'm experiencing some weirdness.

For starters, I run an Athlon at 2.16 GHz, 512MB Geil CAS2 RAM, and a 9600 Pro OC'd about 4%. I use a dual-monitor setup off of the 9600. When I have absolutely nothing running in the background (even shuttting down FAH :( ) I can get around 60fps at 1024x768, medium to high details.

The problem comes in in that every once in a while, when a new vehicle or charachter comes on screen, or I hit a new part of the map, or just when chaos kinda kicks in (14 players onscreen shooting, etc.) the game drops to like 3 or 4 fps for 10 seconds or so, then kicks back up and runs fine.

I have Windows set to dump DLL, and checked free RAM before starting the game (I have about 300MB free), so I don't think it is a RAM issue. The game benches fine 90% of the time, so I think that the 9600 can handle it. I'm just not sure WTF is going on here.

HAs anyone had problems like this before? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

I think it is RAM. How much RAM you have free doesn't mean a whole lot really.... You can have 256MB RAM, and 80MB's free, but then upgrade to 512MB and use over 256MB of RAM doing the same things you were doing before.

It sounds exactly like the issues people were having with FarCry and 512MB. I took one of my 512MB sticks out and saw the same thing happen also.

i run the game just fine. but i have moded my settings a bit. so it runs smoother.

i have added a copy of my UT2004.ini file. it has all the settings. just copy it in to your game folder and run the game. it will run the settings that i have it set to, so you may want to give it a try.

go to where you installed ut04 and go to the system folder and copy this file into it. you my want to back up your file b4 copying this one over.

C:\Program File\UT2004\System " the file is called UT2004.ini "

try it and see if it helps :)

P.S its in a zip coz it would not let me up the file coz it is an .INI file :-/

Attachments

• UT2004.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 33
i run the game just fine. but i have moded my settings a bit. so it runs smoother.

i have added a copy of my UT2004.ini file. it has all the settings. just copy it in to your game folder and run the game. it will run the settings that i have it set to, so you may want to give it a try.

What exactly have you changed in your .ini file?

a few things. big things like Perload sink files. thats a lager. my sound setup. voice chat crap and stuff like that

oh are you a good server? like a server that has a really low ping like 80 and lower?

just copy it over and try it out and see if it works for you. just back up yours 1st :)

np man... let me know if it works out for yah :)

coz i get on servers with 32 ppl, and it looks like ww3 on there sum times with all kinds of stuff going on, on the screen at any given time... no lag what so ever.

Neo

You might also want to try tweaking your AGP aperture settings, as there were more than a few people who reported that helping them run Farcry more smoothly.

It does sound like a memory problem but if its not, maybe the game might have to be repaired or reinstalled.I have been playing this one game for a week and all of a sudden it started getting glitchy.

I reinstalled it and its ok now.Sometimes these auto registry clean up programs can remove some vital things.So ya have to be careful with those things too.

I also sometimes refuse to believe that My video card has bitten off more than it can chew and I dont lower the detail settings :bang head hehe.You can try that too.

GL.

if you had added the new patch for the game. it also may coz this kinda prob, i tryed out the patch and the game was crashing and what not all the time and it was also really lagy at times.. i did a reinstall and prob, gone.. yah check your video settings. see if u got AF AA on. try turning that stuff off. then try playing. but as for me. i got the game on the day it come out. moded my setting to whats in the that ini file. and i have had no prob, till the patch and that was the only time i have had to reinstall.

neo

hrdwrjnkie said:
OK, so I just got up and running with unreal 2004, and I'm experiencing some weirdness.

For starters, I run an Athlon at 2.16 GHz, 512MB Geil CAS2 RAM, and a 9600 Pro OC'd about 4%. I use a dual-monitor setup off of the 9600. When I have absolutely nothing running in the background (even shuttting down FAH :( ) I can get around 60fps at 1024x768, medium to high details.

The problem comes in in that every once in a while, when a new vehicle or charachter comes on screen, or I hit a new part of the map, or just when chaos kinda kicks in (14 players onscreen shooting, etc.) the game drops to like 3 or 4 fps for 10 seconds or so, then kicks back up and runs fine.

I have Windows set to dump DLL, and checked free RAM before starting the game (I have about 300MB free), so I don't think it is a RAM issue. The game benches fine 90% of the time, so I think that the 9600 can handle it. I'm just not sure WTF is going on here.

HAs anyone had problems like this before? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

lack of ram.. move to 1gig i bet your troubles disappear..or a mobo chipset issue...fact of life type thing..

Back