• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I hook computer speakers up to my TV too?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Binow

If I were to buy Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 Personal Audio System (6-Piece) would I be able to use them for my TV speakers too? I have no clue about any of the audio side of things so any help would be appreciated.

It really sorta depends on what you have and how much work you are willing to do. It's very possible, but usualy TV audio systems use differnt connectors and somtimes differnt setups as far as channels go so it's not quite as easy as pluggin in three wires like on the computer. We would really need more information.

Do you just have a plain old TV with just a cable box or do you use a VCR or DVD player or anything like that?

Yeah I have a regular TV with 4 audio inputs and 2 video inputs. I have the main cable box hooked up in my room that has all kinds of hookups on it. I use either my xbox or ps2 to play dvds.

Last edited:
Well, you can hook the sound for the consoles up to your computer if you get a converter (an RCA to stereo mini-plug - like a headphones plug - converter for each, but you will have to switch them when you switch consoles). For the TV, unless there are audio outs you will probably need the same converter and somthing that converts coax (cable) to RCA (some VCRs I have seen can do this, and then you can watch tapes too!), then just plug the video into the TV and the audio into the same converter as you have from the consoles.

Did you get that, I could explain with a little more detail if you need.

Oh, heh... I didn't realize you didn't already have the speakers. Home Theater systems are usualy better quality and it would probably be easier to hook your computer up to it (and all your other stuff for that matter) than your tv to your computer.

Last edited:
dcr600ii_2.jpg
hkb6pair.jpg
sony_sa_wm500.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=5702486469&rd=1
Sony Sony SA-WM500 Subwoofer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39794&item=5701747710
JBL DCR600II 5.1 Home Theater Receiver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14991&item=5702630188
Harman Kardon HK B 6 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (2 sets)

-All of that for around the same price you would pay for the klipsch set and unlike the klipsch speakers you can buy it an stages and add onto it later if you want. Your speaker system could be switched from computer to tv using a remote control.

So you guys suggest the home speakers over some geared towards the computer? I was at Fry's earlier and they had some setup with Rainbow six and it sounds awesome playing the game with the speakers/sub. I'd just have some speakers for when I'm playing the occasional computer game or xbox/ps2 game. I would also like to play music through my computer. These would be the main wants that I have. The better sounds from watching tv/movies would be good too but not the main concern. Knowing this would you guys still suggest some type of home system?

I connected my digital cable to my pc that uses the logitech 4.1 speakers.
It sounds BETTER to me and my roomy then our nice HT system in the living room that is a full blown Pioneer rack system.

One issue I did have was ground loop noise between the computer/cable box , so I ordered a Xitel ground loop isolator( $40 shipped ) and it removed it completely, very high quality.

The cable box is a HDTV bow with decoder and tied with audigy 2 and about $80 in the splitter/GL Isolator makes for a very nice tv sound system /computer sound system since the TV and LCDs are side by side.

To turn off TV sound for PC sound simply click mute on Line In in the volume control.

Those 4.1 speakers are LOUD , alot of bass , sharp and only like $130, add in the $80 for the very high quality splitter and GLI , ease of control, I much prefer that over a expensive HT system for a computer room that is limited on space.
Not knocking HT systems but it depends on what you want/need/have space for. If you don't have a decoder and coming straight from a TV , not sure your sound would be so super, as I said mine is coming from a HDTV Box.

If you don't have a ton of money to buy both and want the PC control thats the way to go. If your TV dominates your computer then go the other suggested route. My TV/DVD watching is here to supplement my computer, not my computer to supplement my TV.

5.1 speakers would probably be better, but it turns out the 4.1 balances it very well and for the 5th center speaker... the TV sound!

Bantre said:
It sounds BETTER to me and my roomy then our nice HT system in the living room that is a full blown Pioneer rack system.

-that is why i do not recomend pioneer systems. low quality speakers. dont compair 300$ computer speakers to 150$ HT speakers pioneer speakers at that.

Bantre said:
Those 4.1 speakers are LOUD , alot of bass

-how about clarity? i didnt think so.

Last edited:
It is clear, it sounds great.
I have seen and been in many homes with other home theatre systems.
The slight quality in sound to me is mute for a computer room/tv setup.

There is a big difference in having great sound for $200 or have slightly better for several thousand.
Who said the speakers were Pioneer?
The rack system is Pioneer;p

I'm glad you have been here and heard it and know how I setup my stuff, next time please knock:)

I have over $2500 into my car stero system/dvd interface, to me the home setup is almost as good. I listen to stuff loud, not defeaning.

I respected your opinion and even told the guy if he has the space/money to go for it, but don't act like you know how mine sounds, it sounds quite well, thanks.

Bantre said:
It is clear, it sounds great.
I have seen and been in many homes with other home theatre systems.
The slight quality in sound to me is mute for a computer room/tv setup.

I guess i can not fault you for having bad hearing per forum policy #7.

"7. This forum has a policy of tolerance and inclusion. Prejudicial language and behavior is absolutely forbidden"

i apolygise for asuming that you had good hearing. next time i will be more careful with my words. i hope you accept my apology. my grandmother is of bad hearing too and i know it isn't easy.

Bantre there is no possible way a 4.1 Logitech system can outperform a dedicated theater setup, not even a cheap one.

lets go through the list:

• Dedicated reciever/amp: much higher quality amplification and tons of features the logitechs only wish they had. Alot more flexibility and customization.
  • Buildup: With a HT setup you can piece together the perfect set to your own tastes, you are not stuck with a package deal. also this allows you to buy as you have money so you don't have to throw out the full $$ all at once.
  • Driver Size: the tiny tiny speakers in the logitech set are literally no match for larger driver equipped HT speakers. dream all you like, but a 2" speaker will NOT have anywhere near the fullness and range of sound a 6" or 8" driver would have. also there are no tweeters in these logitech speakers so there goes your clarity out the window.
  • Overlapping Sound: simply nonexistant in a computer speaker package. those 2" driver speakers have zero midbass which means the sub has to play everything even close to bass, thus there is a large gap in a full clean sound between mid range and sub bass that there are no speakers capable of playing. when you play a slow sine pass on a set of computer speakers its very harsh up top then sounds good through mid treble and midrange then it gets really quiet in the midbass range and then it booms obnoxiously loud in the upper sub bass and then coughs dead when it has reached its limit around 35hz which is not nearly low enough.
  • Price: as zabomb has detailed you can get a excellent sounding HT for very cheap. my own system i'm putting together has 4 HK6 bookshelf speakers, 1 infinity entra center, 1 velodyne 10" subwoofer, and probably a pioneer VSX-D712K 500w reciever with all the bells and whistles. this setup will cost me $650 dollars including shipping (which is approximately $117 of the total) meaning the speakers themselves only cost $533 dollars. this system will pound the daylights out of the logitechs and will have clarity the logitechs will never be capable of.

I don't see anything in my post that breaks any rules more then yours, in fact in either of your last two posts.
You claim to know what I have and what it sounds like, I never made such claim on you, and until you come here and listen to what I have and I yours, I wouldn't make such a judgement to claim to know how everyone elses sounds.

That aside let's go over what my $135+ 80 wiring system consists of and the ability and awards of such a system over a full blown system.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/dct6200/
http://www.xitel.com/product_gli.htm
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384698297&productCategoryId=cat08053&type=product
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Audigy2ZS_platinum_pro/
Logitech Z-560http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=2&CONTENTID=5044&countryid=19&languageid=1

Rated best 4.1 by Maximum PC
http://maximumpc.com/ranking/rankings2.html
http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/Z560/
http://www.onepc.net/index.php?view=docs&doc_id=100
Excellent price
M3D works very well
Massive bass
Superb satellite performance
Incredible overall sound quality

http://www.thinktechie.com/reviews.php?id=28
9/10 The odd issue of speakers was older version and corrected in mine.

http://www.maximum3d.com/reviews/z560.htm
"Pure audio bliss"

Pros
http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/l560/4
Excellent Price
Huge Sub
Great Quality
Volume Control Center

There is about 50 more but I think you get the point here.

I paid $135 shipped for these, and was and still is( if can find them ) the best deal in the world for 95% of people who just want good , clean , loud sound for gaming, music and movies.

Between the decoder options of the box/sound card, adjustability of the Audigy 2 to control how it is amplified with effects and speaker control and the obvious qualifcations of the speakers by the links above( do a yahoo seach on em for a few thousand more) , it would be hard to argue most people into spending thousands for super terrific sound when you can get great sound for $135 plus adapater and if needed a GLI.

I have great hearing by the way, your comments are as hypocritical as I expected on my hearing.
By the way, what exactly was prejudious about me thinking my setup sounds good and having seen other HTS before?

Maxvla said:
Bantre there is no possible way a 4.1 Logitech system can outperform a dedicated theater setup, not even a cheap one.

lets go through the list:

• Dedicated reciever/amp: much higher quality amplification and tons of features the logitechs only wish they had. Alot more flexibility and customization.
  • Buildup: With a HT setup you can piece together the perfect set to your own tastes, you are not stuck with a package deal. also this allows you to buy as you have money so you don't have to throw out the full $$ all at once.
  • Driver Size: the tiny tiny speakers in the logitech set are literally no match for larger driver equipped HT speakers. dream all you like, but a 2" speaker will NOT have anywhere near the fullness and range of sound a 6" or 8" driver would have. also there are no tweeters in these logitech speakers so there goes your clarity out the window.
  • Overlapping Sound: simply nonexistant in a computer speaker package. those 2" driver speakers have zero midbass which means the sub has to play everything even close to bass, thus there is a large gap in a full clean sound between mid range and sub bass that there are no speakers capable of playing. when you play a slow sine pass on a set of computer speakers its very harsh up top then sounds good through mid treble and midrange then it gets really quiet in the midbass range and then it booms obnoxiously loud in the upper sub bass and then coughs dead when it has reached its limit around 35hz which is not nearly low enough.
  • Price: as zabomb has detailed you can get a excellent sounding HT for very cheap. my own system i'm putting together has 4 HK6 bookshelf speakers, 1 infinity entra center, 1 velodyne 10" subwoofer, and probably a pioneer VSX-D712K 500w reciever with all the bells and whistles. this setup will cost me $650 dollars including shipping (which is approximately $117 of the total) meaning the speakers themselves only cost $533 dollars. this system will pound the daylights out of the logitechs and will have clarity the logitechs will never be capable of.

Never said it sounded as good, in fact I said the exact different.
I stand by my orginal point that was missed.
If he has limited space, budget it is VERY VERY possible to get great sound in all ranges, make the house rattle with clear bass for less then a ton of money.
I said it sounds great and it does, for the cost ratio of most people who want just better TV sound up to great levels, it can't be beat.

He is the one who made assumptions on how loud and clear it was without knowing what it was exactly I even had or the quality backing it.
Most don't play TV stuff in a computer room to defeaning levels which is what speakers are all about. The freqency range of what I have and Bass response is fairly exceptional when you convert $ to DBA and quality.

It is no different the CPU Mhz to $ conversion of whats reasonable verus paying a ton more to be just slightly better imo.

Edit~ I did miss one thing Max that affects my choice on why I am happy this route.
My computer room is approx 9x9 feet room.
Naturally I have 2 speakers in front above the LCDs TV to left, Sub under that TV , 2 speakers on rear wall. Behind all that is a 4x7 foot, double high waterbed.
Technically my room is very closed in, being practically on the sub and less dispersion into a large room, the bass is really amplified futher as is sound echo and response( there is no odd corners, large spaces for the sound to redirect itself. So clearly I am literally in the center of sound, which covers the range of bass/speaker gap ratio.
You seem qualified to know how that will effect sound and the advantages and disadvantages of it.

Being as I am never more then 2 feet from either my LCDs or TV and I am the center box of all vollume in a close small box room, placement and such has made it to be where I doubt I can do much better , and I still stand by it :)

Last edited:
Bantre said:
By the way, what exactly was prejudious about me thinking my setup sounds good and having seen other HTS before?

I dont think you understood me. if you have bad hearing and can not tell the difference between good speakers and low quality speakers then i will not hold that against you.

Oh I can, and I can tell you the difference between here and my Firebird is much different.
However, for most people and I do love sound, and watch a ton of racing( which btw has massive ranges of sounds), what I have is no way shaby or weak compared to others.

We obviously are on the wrong feet and I applaud your stubborness on trying to be right, but the fact is, not everyone has to spend a ton of money to have something that for the majority will be "great".

I've been to quite a few lan partys and alot of other peoples houses, I have yet to see something even close to my TV/Computer/sound setup especially for as little as I put in it.

My biggest saddness of this thread comes knowing they no longer sell these speakers:( At least the Z-680's ae only 265 now.

These were not your standard $80 4.1 bestbuy speakers, it was for a long time last year and the year prior the best of the best deals price to sound ratio and hence so many awards and rated #1 in its category.

If nothing else maybe we have educated everyone else and ourselves abit more even if we are both to arrogant to give in which is a better deal;p

Bantre said:
Never said it sounded as good, in fact I said the exact different.

oh really?

Bantre said:
I connected my digital cable to my pc that uses the logitech 4.1 speakers.

sounds to me like you just said your 4.1 logitechs are better than a HT setup like i detailed in my post.

Bantre said:
I stand by my orginal point that was missed.
If he has limited space, budget it is VERY VERY possible to get great sound in all ranges, make the house rattle with clear bass for less then a ton of money.
I said it sounds great and it does, for the cost ratio of most people who want just better TV sound up to great levels, it can't be beat.
You are making alot of assumptions about his budget and his space needs. There are many better options for a low budget 5.1 computer speaker setup.
Bantre said:
He is the one who made assumptions on how loud and clear it was without knowing what it was exactly I even had or the quality backing it.
Most don't play TV stuff in a computer room to defeaning levels which is what speakers are all about. The freqency range of what I have and Bass response is fairly exceptional when you convert $ to DBA and quality.
speakers are NOT all about playing at deafening levels. if you really believe that you should exit this thread and never offer audio advice ever again. i never play my speakers at deafening volume. there is no reason for it. if you cannot enjoy your music without blasting it at yourself you should look to better quality speakers which you will get a better experience from and will not need to crank it up so loud.
Bantre said:
It is no different the CPU Mhz to $ conversion of whats reasonable verus paying a ton more to be just slightly better imo.
perhaps you should stop protecting your speakers by over-exaggerating their abilities. $650 shipped for a high quality HT setup that would normally cost about $2000 is not "paying a ton more" its buying wisely.

since you bring up cpu's lets do a little comparison. your logitechs would be on par with a p3 1000mhz. enough do work with, fairly sluggish and bogs down easily. my outlined setup would be a p4 3.0c, not top of the line by any means but more than enough ability to be a smooth running machine and do anything you request of it in a timely manner.
Bantre said:
Edit~ I did miss one thing Max that affects my choice on why I am happy this route.
My computer room is approx 9x9 feet room.
Naturally I have 2 speakers in front above the LCDs TV to left, Sub under that TV , 2 speakers on rear wall. Behind all that is a 4x7 foot, double high waterbed.
Technically my room is very closed in, being practically on the sub and less dispersion into a large room, the bass is really amplified futher as is sound echo and response( there is no odd corners, large spaces for the sound to redirect itself. So clearly I am literally in the center of sound, which covers the range of bass/speaker gap ratio.
You seem qualified to know how that will effect sound and the advantages and disadvantages of it.
you are basing your advice on sound output into a very non-ideal room. my computer room is 20x20 which is about the size a good listening room should be.

your thought about sound echoing fixing your midbass problems couldn't be further from the truth. this actually enhances the gap. personally i would not want echoing to be a main part of my sound setup, neither does any professional theater installer. lots of padded/sound deadening walls and panels is what they use to eliminate echo and reverb.
Bantre said:
Being as I am never more then 2 feet from either my LCDs or TV and I am the center box of all vollume in a close small box room, placement and such has made it to be where I doubt I can do much better , and I still stand by it :)
placement has nothing to do with this. my speakers will be the same distance from me as they are of you, you only choose to play them so loud that it hurts you and thus you say not to get HT speakers because you think they will be even louder. play a good speaker at a reasonable volume and you can put it very close and get great sound.

Your small room does not make the Logitech 4.1 system the best system ever made, nor is it the best option for everyone. These "high end" computer speakers are built for people who do not understand the mechanics of a good system nor want to mess with setting one up. they are for people with more money than brains or patience.

i also noticed you didn't bother refuting any of my points which leads me to believe that you are in complete agreement, correct?

Back