• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Warranty void if Removed" label question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

If that label has a hole in it would it cause the drive to stop working, is the hard drive air tight?

I'll tell the hole story so you can help me

Last Wednesday this guy which I sold a pc to called me and told me that he couldn't go online and after a couple of restarts the computer wouldn't even reboot so I went there and pick up the pc and brough it home thinking that a reinstall would solve it and be easier to do then anything else, but when I try to install windows xp it isn't able to convert it to ntfs which I didn't want to do anyway but it wan't giving me anyother choice so I try to do it but the windows finds an error and can't convert it, after many trys I'm able to partition it and reformat it in fat32 then I try to test it out on my pc and it tells me that I need to format it, I try that but still windows isn't able to do it so then I give it up and begin to search for a new drive cause I feel like taking this one here and trowing from the Empire State Building and shooting it with a bazooka.

Do you think that it is really dead or just trying to **** me off? :mad:

Hard drives do have breater holes for equallizing pressure and to some degree ventilation. Covering these is a bad idea. Wheter this is the case on your drive, I'm not sure.

What you need to do is download the manufacturer's diagnostics and test the drive. Most of which have links in this sticky:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=127203

Once they have been run, you'll kow whether the drive bad.

The lable is [usually] just there to cover a screw that you need to remove to take the drive apart, a little hole wouldn't do anything. And then what Xaotic said.

I post a pic so you can see, how are the breather holes is there some thing to prevent little objects from going in there?

The breather holes have filters (pretty tough ones from what I could tell when I have looked) over them and are pretty small and hidden. If I remember correctly on the drives I have looked at they were underneath it near the edjes of the drives. I seriously doubt somthing got in there.

The problem though - does it say that it's in RAW file format or somthing like that and you can't install XP on a RAW filesystem?

here is a pic
040604095544.jpg

It doesn't look that big on the picture but on a different angle you can see all way inside the drive. by the way I think this counts as removing the sticker right and the warranty is voited right?

CrashOveride said:
The breather holes have filters (pretty tough ones from what I could tell when I have looked) over them and are pretty small and hidden. If I remember correctly on the drives I have looked at they were underneath it near the edjes of the drives. I seriously doubt somthing got in there.

The problem though - does it say that it's in RAW file format or somthing like that and you can't install XP on a RAW filesystem?

Nope it's not that windows will hardly boot with it connected to my system it makes the boot up slower.

Well, that ceritianly isn't a breather hole :eek:

I would have to say that's the source of the problems (stuff getting into the drive and causing bad mojo). I would also say that the warntee is probably voided, if not because of the damaged sticker, but because of obvious signs of abuse. Even if the sticker were intact, I doubt they'd take the drive with a hole like that in it... Drives don't just develop holes in the side over time :D

JigPu

There appears to be enough damage to that label to void the warranty.

Can we get a picture from the better angle that you mentioned?

I have to leave right now but I'll post a pic later.

Thanks

Back