• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can an 80mm fan plug into mobo or should it be direct to PS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overXposure

i am down to the last few purchases for my new system ...

the cooler i have purchased for my processor ... requres a seperate fan to be purchased .. it will hold an 80 or a 92 mm fan ... are there fans out there that size that will plut into the 3 prong plub on the motherboard? or would i be better off hooking it to one of the leads off my PS?

would not having a fan hooked up to the motherboard cause any issues?

I had 80mm on all three fan headers... with my current overclock with no issues.

I don't see why not.

Just don't stick anything higher than 30cfm on them.

-Frank

You have to look at what kind of MB you have and see what the max amprage off of the header and then see what the amperage off the 80mm fan is. MOST motherboards can take upto about 3-4 watts max. My MB ( Asus P4P800 ) can take upto 8.80watt off of EACH header.

What I am saying is be careful. You should be ok but I would not put a Tornado on it and see.

You could hook it up to either the PSU or the motherbaord. (Although with some crappy and older motherboards, really powerful fans like high speed Deltas and Tornados can cause problems. In that case you might want to hook it up to the powersupply.)

If you decide not to have any fans hooked up to the CPU fan header on the motherboard you may have to read your manual to find the key to press during bootup so that you can go into the BIOS and disable FOC (Somtimes the feature is called other things, but FOC stands for Fan Off Control. It just turns the computer off if there is no fan running off of the main fan header), but somtimes the BIOS default is to have FOC disabled (so you don't have to do that).

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 that is my motherboard ... according to the manual the fan plug will support a max of 600 ma ... so time to search around and see if i can find an 80mm to match that ... looked through the bios and didnt see a place to disable it completly ... did see where to disable the speed sensor tho ...

I think the option for me is in PC Health stats or somthing, but that would probably be differnt, just make sure you look everywhere.
I wouldn't bother picking a fan according to your motherboard's specs. I would choose by the sound and airflow req. for you. If you really need you can always plug a case fan into the motherboard there.

Usually only the CPU fan header has the option for speed control. The rest usually just run and you have the option in the BIOS for turning on monitoring/warning for the extra fans.

Why do you want to put an 80mm fan on there if it can hold a 92mm? I have THIS 92mm fan running off my MB header without any problems.

edit: By the way I would recommend NOT getting anything from the store that my link took you too. Took over 2 weeks to get the fan and they charged my cc within a day. Also they would not reply to any of my emails.

This is the CPU cooler that i got ... it should be here in a few more days then i can verify for sure if it holds a 90 or a 92 ... right now just trying to gather information on if it would be ok running the fan off the board or would it be better to run it from the PSU ...

i know the larger the fan the more air it can move with less noise .. i am not all that concerned with how much noise the computer makes tho ... to me the operating temp is what i am more concerned with ...

uhm...i've never heard of a "90mm" fan... mebe i'm just stupid or something, but... I think they meant 92... if anyone can show me a 90mm fan, please do correct me, I don't like 'not knowing' and/or telling people something that's not true...

BTW: you can do what I did to get a fan on my slk-800 when i lost the clips...just make a retention system to hold the fan on there! lol - I bent some thin like, breadboard wire, put it through the holes on the heatsink and through the holes on the fan, and it worked like a charm up till I located the retail clips

If you dont care about noise...then...you can dawn some ear plugs and get either the 80mm or 92mm Vantec Tornado... e_e... I have the 80mm one in my other computer...I CANT STAND IT!

If you don't care about sound and have that HS you should DEFFINATLY get a 92mm Tornado (or Delta), there really is no reason to get an 80mm fan, as far as I can tell, with that HS. But Torado's at full speed are very loud.

The 90/92mm thing - some places just round 92mm - 9cm or 90mm. After all it is only 2mm.

Back