• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi X800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lan_Of_Malkier

Any user word on the X800 Pro? I'm an nVidia guy swayin to ATi.....but I want to know it's gonna be worth it now. Never had any luck with them before...Thoughts?

Well, the X800 happens too be the first PCI supported card.... as such PCI is many many times faster then AGP could ever be. Always wondered when the first one would be made. Anways, I highly recommend this card when it starts shipping with PCI support because it will rock your socks.... games like hl2 will "NEVER" hiccup on full graphics.

Note also that you might need a new mother board which supports the X800's PCI compatible feature.

I dont know very much about it, but I was just saying older mobo's might not cut it... research it, get the whole scoop, its well worth it.

All the current version x800 pros are AGP. Supposedly sometime in the future will be introducing a PCI-Express video cards. While I don't have an x800 pro I made the nVidia to ATi switch with my last card and have nothing bad to say about it. Enjoy your x800 pro.

Lan_Of_Malkier said:
Any user word on the X800 Pro? I'm an nVidia guy swayin to ATi.....but I want to know it's gonna be worth it now. Never had any luck with them before...Thoughts?

I've used ATI and Nvidia before but I must say that after 3 weeks with my x800pro I really love it.
Every game I play, Pain Killer , NFSU, Farcry, They all run VERY VERY well and I upgraded from a 9800pro and it Just blows that out of the water.

All in all I am very happy with this card, it doesn't seem to generate extra heat as all my case temps are the same and seems to use a bit less power on the 12v tham my 9800pro.

hope this helps you out

I personally would wait until the 6800GT is out. It has the potential to equal the 6800 ultra or more, but takes up 1 slot, uses less power, and produces less heat. It also costs $100 less. What's more, it has completely new architecture, so future games will *probably* run better on it. For current games, the X800 Pro is generally a bit faster, but I think that will change when new drivers are released.

the 6800 will give you a better 3dmark score than x800s, but is better at lower resolutions, while the x800 series does alot better at higher resolutions. if you do get an x800 you can try and mod to an xt :bday:

Thraller said:
I personally would wait until the 6800GT is out. It has the potential to equal the 6800 ultra or more, but takes up 1 slot, uses less power, and produces less heat. It also costs $100 less. What's more, it has completely new architecture, so future games will *probably* run better on it. For current games, the X800 Pro is generally a bit faster, but I think that will change when new drivers are released.
I would have to disagree with you on that one. I think the R420 line of cards still has better PS2.0 performance then the nv40's. Therefore the Ati line of cards will most likely have run future games better.

Thraller said:

He did not ask about 6800's so do not start the ATi vs nVidia debate again...there are enough already.

As far as the x800 Pro Lan_Of_Malkier I wish I could find them in stock anywhere around ....they are all on back order. But to answer your question. Yes, they seem to be well worth the money and offer a startling increase in performance above any other card shipping at the moment.

Say hi to Rand when you see him ;)

the x800 series are great cards :) they perform about the same as the 6800 series, but as soon as AF is enabled, thats where the ATi cards shine through even more :)

X800's are supposed to come to holland in a few weeks/months, so maybe ill see if i can hijack the x800 wagon, so i have 500 x800's to sell lol :D

in short: yes, its worth it :)

"Well, the X800 happens too be the first PCI supported card.... as such PCI is many many times faster then AGP could ever be. Always wondered when the first one would be made. Anways, I highly recommend this card when it starts shipping with PCI support because it will rock your socks.... games like hl2 will "NEVER" hiccup on full graphics."

Well, I believe you've been tricked into believing that PCI Express will actually offer a tangible performance increase over AGP 8X. In all likelihood, PCI Express will not increase performance of video cards by much if at all. Basically all it offers performance-wise is more bandwidth, which simply is not needed. AGP 4X vs 8X, only main difference is more bandwidth, yet there's no performance gain. More interconnect bandwidth does not equal more performance, it is not the bottleneck.

PCI-E wont offer any performance gain at the moment, maybe in future hardware component generation. Actual generations of cards doesn't even show a noticeable benefit from AGP4x to AGP8x so don't expect to see any improvement with curent generation of hardware/games.

Only people who will benefit from this are people who work with video editing as they have huge data transfer to do, games mostly use internal videocard memory actually, PCI-E can't compete with that speed at all, despite it's high BW capacity.

I just got mine and I'm very pleased. OCs pretty well with stock cooling and now I can play FarCry with all settings maxed (except AA).

EDIT: As for temps, 34°C idle and 67°C load. Not particularly cool.

Last edited:
System Shock said:
Well, the X800 happens too be the first PCI supported card.... as such PCI is many many times faster then AGP could ever be. Always wondered when the first one would be made. Anways, I highly recommend this card when it starts shipping with PCI support because it will rock your socks.... games like hl2 will "NEVER" hiccup on full graphics.

Note also that you might need a new mother board which supports the X800's PCI compatible feature.

PCI express, not to be confused with inferior PCI slots

Mr.Radar said:
The X800XT and 6800 Ultra are about the same in performance, however the 6800 puts out WAY more heat and uses WAY more power than the X800, which actually uses less power and puts out less heat than the 9800.

Not that I doubt you, but does the x800 pro really produce less heat and use less power then the 9800? I am thinking about building a small form factor, and both issues are my main concern, and I wasn’t considering the x800 because I thought it would run a lot hotter. I would be so happy to know that it would be a much better choice!!!

Back