• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KM400 UniChrome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_biggs

I tried finding a review or comparison of the KM400 integrated graphics (S3 UniChrome) but couldn't. I was hoping one of you had an idea of about how many 3DMarks it can get (3DMark01.) I don't expect much. I'm just asking because I'm going to build my sister a new computer with the KM400 chipset, and atm there isn't money for a video card.

Also, how does this system sound for general use to you? SOYO K7VME, TBred 1800+ AUIGA (I think its AUIGA, its been a while since I've used it,) 256MB PC2100. When the next round of video card upgrades happens, this computer will also be getting a Radeon 9200 or 9000... I can't remember which.

The unichrome can use up to 64mb's of system memory so it is comparable with the Intel extreme graphics in that respect.Unfortunately I havnt had experience with the unichrome but my friend has Intel the extreme using 64mb's of system memory with a Pentium4 1.8ghz and he gets a score just over 2,000 on 3d mark 2k1.

So I would think it should be in the same ballpark depending on the cpu speed.

It sucks. I got just over 1,300 3D Marks with 2001SE on my system when i had 256Mb Ram. You'd have no chance playing a lot of the newer games like Splinter Cell, Far Cry, MOH AA even, but if all you wanna do is play older games its ok. I could play Max Payne fine with mixed medium/high quality settings. I used it for a couple of months until i got my FX5600.

As for the other system you posted, a bit underpowered if your a serious gamer but for general use its fine. If your sisters wanting to play some of the latest games though(if she plays games) i'd seriously consider upgrading that graphics card, to at least a 9600Pro or Xt, or a Ti4200, if your on a budget and getting an extra 256mb ram. Even if its just for general use i think 512mb is a nice amount to have, though not strictly necessary...

Last edited:
I would go with an nforce2 IGP...... they are only about $10-$15 more and they are about the same speed as a 9000.

The best part of a KM400 is there are motherboards that still take old PC100/PC133 memory. Good for people who want to go save money by not upgrading to DDR. Since you already have DDR....This doesn't benefit you.

I already have everything excpet the motherboard, actually. I'm spending just over $60 for this new computer for her, and am getting a $50 rebate.

And she doesn't play any new games. The most demanding game they'll use is probably Unreal for my brother-in-law. It's mostly just general use, stuff like internet, light photo editing, and word processing. I'm just sick of their Compaq comonents crapping out all the time, and they ask me to fix it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not surprised that it gets so few points. At least there is an AGP slot for in the future. :)

Im getting some sound crackling when gaming.different drivers and games dont make a difference.anyone else get this with the unichrome IGP?

Temps are fine audio is fine except when gaming.

Back