• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please critique my $500 upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wviperw

Registered
I'm thinking about purchasing my parts here in a day or so. My goal is to spend UNDER 500 dollars on this upgrade:

M Barton (45w) 2600+..............................$99 (newegg)
Kingston ValueRam 2x512mb PC3200............$157.98 (kingston)
Abit NF7-S..............................................$86 (newegg)
Antec PlusView 1000AMG...........................$91.65 (svc)
Fortron 350w...........................................$34.00 (newegg)
Thermalright SLK-947U...............................$26.42 (svc)
Arctic Cooling Fan 2L.................................$5.99 (svc)
2 x 80MM CCFL BLUE FAN...........................$17.05 (svc)

(prices after shipping)

TOTAL: $518.09

As you can see from the total, I'm not quite achieving that $500 goal right now. I'm thinking about switching to the Chenbro Xpider case, as it would be only $53.76. However, I'm kind of fond of that Antec one I've got posted above. :) If you don't mind, please critique my choices, and give me any ideas/alternatives on how to make this upgrade cheaper. Thanks!

i can lower those prices so you can add more check it

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Processor - $90.00 Shipped from ZipZoomFly
Kingston ValueRam 2x512mb PC3200 - $157.98 Don't know about shipped from Kingston
ABIT NF7-S Motherboard - $85.00 Shipped From Newegg
Antec PlusView1000AMG ATX Tower w/Clear Side Panel No PS - $71.14 shipped from Ebuyer good reviews as i see right now
Fortron 350w - $34.00 from Newegg
Thermalright SLK-947U - $26.42 From SVC
Arctic Cooling Fan 2L - $5.99 from SVC
2 x 80MM CCFL BLUE FAN - $17.05 from SVC

Total - $487.58

saved you a couple bux right there

You can always postpone the cathode fans for later or you can just buy a cathode kit and 2 led fans.

Anyway I think he wanted the mobile and I don't think that's the one you added Sophisiticated.

I pretty much have that system and it's really awesome.

Sophisticated: Sweet, thanks for the better price on hte 1000AMG. I can't believe I hadn't found this before. :)

Ben721: Well, the CCFL fans only end up being a few bucks more. I can get the blue LED ones for maybe 2 bucks cheaper a piece, yet shipping would be the same, so i'd only end up saving 4 bucks.

You should check out ebay, shopping on yahoo and pricewatch.com. I'm sure you can save a few dollars by searching around. Make sure you look into the stores rep. though before buying. Tiger Direct and Buy.com also have specials every so ofter.WOrth a look if you the time.

C-ya

The PV1000 is a really nice case. :D It's what i'm using in my rig right now. Just wish there was more holes around the mobo for wires.

I am not sure how well the shuttle will overclock. Or the NF7-S for that matter. Newer ones seem to be acting up. I know the DFI Infinity has been a solid overclocker. Im out of the loop on mobos though so you would have to figure it out for yourself. Just thought you might like a headsup.

Back