• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xmms and many other linux/unix apps for OSX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Good evening, I've been looking for a long time for a way to run xmms or winamp under OSX without much success. While searching today I found a way and it can do ALOT more fro you too. The program is called fink and there is a gui frontend for it called fink commander. What fink is is a port of the apt-get system that debian is known for, to the OSX/darwin environment. The program will download either the source code for the program or binaries depending on what you tell it to do and install it on your powerbook/ibook/imac/powermac. Sorry PC guys :(. The homepage for this project can be found here- http://fink.sourceforge.net/ The installer is quite good and I did not have any problems installing it on my powerbook. The software selection is relatively limited at around 1500 apps/libraries however. Below is a screenshot I took of kde 3.1.4 running ontop of aqua in the X environment natively. It runs awesome, better than my gentoo install on the same machine as a matter of fact. Gnome and fvwm are also available if you prefer them over kde. I've also got xmms running in there for fun.
kde-aqua.jpg

I'll post a how to for the install if anyone here is interested.
this was tested on a 1ghz G4, 512DDR, 40GB hard drive, airport extreme, 2x dvd-rw, OSX 10.3 server

That's sweet. If macs weren't so expensive, one would be my next upgrade. Getting OSX stability/simplicity with the wide range of available OSS software would be a dream.

Oooooh... aaaaaaaah

Very nice. I'm a long time mac user myself that has been looking to get into linux ;). (I have friends on overclockers who are into it.)

I was curious as to the procedure you did to get KDE to run native in OS X.

(Thanks in advance).

Back