• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink for MSI K8N Neo Platinum 250GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckyOne

Registered
With this being a new board, Thermalright does not have compatibility information for it. Does anyone know a good heatsink that is compatible with this board?

I contacted Thermalright about the SLK-948U. The response I got was:

Dear Imran,

SLK-948U is compatible with MSI K8N-Neo Platinum motherboard. Please remove both screws on the original RM via a philip screwdriver prior to HSF install. Thank you for interesting in Thermalright products.

Sincerely,

Jim Wei
Thermalright Inc.

Hi

This morning I fitted my 948U to my Neo Platinum board with no problems. If you wathc the video review of the heatsink over at 3dgamerman.com you will see exactly how to do it.

It does require that the backplate that is already on the board be taken off, which is quite hard as it is glued on there....

Hope this helps

that sux. that probalby then voids the warranty.

is there any heatsink that can be installed on the Neo Platinum without any modification?

I fitted the same heatsink on my k8n without removing the stock backplate. I tried and couldn't get it to budge without extreme force. I also tried cutting the springs on the 2 big screws, but they were too tough to cut through. I ended up using the smaller screws and a combination of metal washers around rubber fan spacers about 4mm thick. It looks kind of janky, but i'm sitting at 40 load (which is 8-10 lower than the stock heatsink) so i guess it worked.

Joe T said:
Hi

This morning I fitted my 948U to my Neo Platinum board with no problems. If you wathc the video review of the heatsink over at 3dgamerman.com you will see exactly how to do it.

It does require that the backplate that is already on the board be taken off, which is quite hard as it is glued on there....

Hope this helps

do u have a link to that vid? i cant find it

WhatTheSchmidt said:
umm i just got this board and when i removed the 2 screws the backplate come right off...no glue...

lol u must have gotten a returned item whose previous owner did the hard job for you already when he installed the heatsink.

MSI K8N Neo Platinum 250GB Thoughts

I am planning on purchasing this board, I would like to know has anyone had any problem with this board and your thoughts on this board :beer:

Miller12 said:
I am planning on purchasing this board, I would like to know has anyone had any problem with this board and your thoughts on this board :beer:

Board has problems booting over 230FSB with the stock bios, but boots fine over 230 with beta 1.25. The chipset heatsink is really poor (very rough surface, thermal compound isn't on the whole chip). The temperatures are backwards (chipet is the cpu, cpu is the chipset). I can't think of anything else ATM. It's a very good board though. Both of those problems have/will be fixed in the next BIOS.

I've heard of many people using a hair dryer to heat the glue up on the K8N for removing the backplate. Now that I have all the Zalman 7000CU parts here, when I get my RMA K8N, i'm gonig to try the hair dryer trick myself. It should help soften the glue and allow it to be pulled off easily...kinda like heating up a replacement blade on aluminum hockey sticks.

Is thast the best heatsonk for the msi neo board or ? i plan on getting the a64 3200 and the msi neo play board but want a good heatsink soemthign close to the sp-97 socket a heatsink .

The best heatsink would be the thermalright 948U,and you would need to install a 92x38mm fan, I purchased a Delta FFB0912EHE. To install the heatsink you would need to remove the plastic back plate.

Back