• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chkdisk refuses to run on boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamespetts

This is very annoying: I tried to run a boot-time defrag, but it complained that it could not access the disk: on rebooting, the background defragmenter (Diskeeper 8) complained that chkdisk needed to run, in consequence of which it was not able to do any degragmenting; when I set a manual disk check (admin mode) and restarted (it refused to do it without restarting), the boot proceeded as if I had not asked for a disk check at all. I tried again using X Setup Pro, and to no avail.

Does anybody have any idea what might be the matter and how to solve this? It is most infuriating.

ok try it this way... go to Start>Programs>Accessories>Command prompt...its the little black screen....then when you open it type this....

CHKDSK /f

and then it's gonna say it cannot be run blahblahblah...select Y for yes for it to scan on next start up and see if that works

Thank you for your advice: I tried it but, alas, to no avail...

I have this exact same problem and it is very annoying. I found the problem listed on microsofts webpage, and it basically says "yeah, we know about it but there's no fix right now".... so that's nice

they didn't say what causes it, just that they are aware of it and "are working on it".... I have a feeling it's a pretty rare thing that happens because of a certain combination of either hardware or software or something...

Back