• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+ and 35 watt mobiles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rccoyote

Hi, brand new to the OC forums. I have lurked here in smp and in general for a couple of months and I must say, this is probably the most knowlegeable and informative discussion board i have found. Kudos for keeping such a civil and polite place to ask for help and guidance!
I have read and re-read most of the guides and aplicable threads on dualing and mobile xp's. I got bit by the Dual and OC bug and took the plunge. I bought the board and the cpu's listed above (2400 Variety). My question is...has or is anyone running these 35 watters in a dual board? I want to try and hit 2400mhz on air (aerocool phantoms with 3000 rpm 80mm fans with homemade wind stack to eliminate the dead spot). I would like to run Raid 0 for a little extra speed and I'm concerned about instability with out of spec FSB. Anyone experianced with overclocking this board with a raid setup?
I'm thinking about trying 135*[email protected] or 140*[email protected]. I'm doing the socket wire mods and leaving the 2nd to last L5 alone.
What do ya'll think? Any tips , hints or suggestions? Just ordered my 2 cpu's from newegg (already have the mobo and all other hardware). Looking for some last minute advice before the processors get here( hopefully Tue. or Wed.) Thanks, rccoyote

:attn: welcome to the forums!!

Having that said :D unfortunatly i dont run the gigabyte or the 35 watt versions.. although i do run 45 watt 2400's and have hit 24xx on air. With summer upon me here in california, the oc is gonna stay around 2300 with less voltage, prolly back to 1.6. As far as running raid thats on the gigabyte though, have you considered using a stand alone card? not as finicky (if at all) about overclock. I have, however run onboard raid @ 171 fsb on a kt266a board with a highpoint controller onboard, with no issues. so if you really dont want to run a card for your raid you can still use onboard. There is always a chance that your array wont be happy with the extra fsb However, considering that amd duallies cant run high fsb anyway, i dont see it being a probem. best thihng to do is creat an array, throw an OS on it, then push your rig as hard as you can, then run stability proggies. then you will know how stable it will be (this really apllies to any oc project :) )

Walaka7,

Thanks for the welcome.
You bring up the exact reason I went with the 35 watt mobiles. I was noticing that quite a few people were getting 2.4 "ish" with the 45 watt cpu's. I thought maybe the 35 watters might give me a little leeway on temps at that speed due to the low starting voltage of the cpu's. I'm guessing that the 35 watt mobiles will default to the same voltage in a desktop as the 45 watters but not sure about that. There doesn't seem to be just a whole lot of info on the 35 watters being run in dual boards yet. I see in the various forums the link to the swedish or danish site where these guys are hitting some impressive speeds with these things on uni boards.
I may leave the onboard raid alone, but gotta try it at first. I've never run a raid set-up before so if it gets too persnickity i'm just gonna leave it alone. I think Diehard runs this gigabyte board and I seem to remember in some post he had trouble with it. (you out there Diehard?)
I'm going to slap XP PRO on this pup for an operating system. Any suggestions as to what programs to use to to check the stability of my array?
Again...Thanks for the welcome rccoyote

I have three of the 35 watt 2400+ processors , one which is modified to MP use for my MSI K7D master.
The default voltage at bootup is 1.57 volts , which I can reset in bios with this motherboard.
I dont know what the overclocking potential is as I have sent out the other two processors to be modified for me.

Jen

Well the best stess test i know of for stability is putting an OS on it. running sandra also gets the stess up as well as defragging. of course defragging is useless on a fresh install cause there hasnt been a lot of writing/erasing to the drive yet.

as far as stabilty proggies.. you can run sandra which is a benchmarking proggie. this will do 2 things for ya. first it will stess the array bit as it will check how fast your array is. second, you will get a benchmark result comparing it to other file systems similar to yours. If your benchmark is a lot lower than others like it, then you may find that stability is the issue. you can then run at lower fsb and see if benchmark goes up. if it does, then fsb of course has become an issue. if not, then you have a bottleneck in the system that will prolly be the controller on the board and at which point, doesnt pose a long term threat to stability. it will just run slower than expected

Setting up an array is really no big deal. there should be a utility that runs right after POST, where you can set up your array. Then you may need a floppy with the drivers on it so you can load windows. You will find that RAID 0 is neat for games as the load times roxor. the OS will also boot faster (if you ever turn your rig off :D see folding forum for details ), and if you render video, well my friend you really NEED performance RAID.

Welp! Just got my processors today. Gonna put them in tonight or tommorrow. They are: AXMD2400FJQ4C
AQYHA 0415VPMW
Anybody know what the VPMW means? After reading some more posts I'm wandering if my HS/fan combo is going to be adequate for a shot at 2.4 on air. They are the aerocool phantoms..pure coper with the prettiest factory lap job I have ever seen! I could almost shave in the mirror finish. I'm concerned about the fans-80mm 3000 rpm jobbers. I guess I'll find out once I install them. Jen mentioned that her(?) 35 watt mobiles defaulted to the same vcore as the 45 watters, can anyone else confirm this? I ask so I'll know what to shoot for with the pin mod. I really dont want to be re-doing THAT too many times!! I successfuly pin modded my current processor and mobo as a dry run test. I took my xp 2400 up to a 2600 with a 16 multi pin mod. WOW!! Is this for young eyes or what! I'm using IDE cable strands and I had no problems whatsoever with fitting the cpu in with the wires. I did it first with the 5 wires just to see what would hapen and to get some experience, again , no probs with the cpu fitting in with the wires. I then did the single wire as the permanent pin mod. Temps jumped a bit but I'm using the lousy stock hs/fan that came with the xp 2400.
Sorry so long , I just wanna get this install rite the first time around.
rccoyote
Oops. When I say pin mod I'm talking about the wires in the socket mod.
Seems as tho they are different mods

Last edited:
I imagine you won't have any trouble with your RAID array, as long as you don't go too high (and the board probably won't let you go over 150 FSB or so).

The real limiting factor, however, isn't the board; it is the hard drives, themselves. Some hard drives don't like high PCI speeds. Others will work very well at high PCI speeds. You might want to check with overclockers who use the same hard drives, and see what their experience has been.

For stability testing, I highly recommend running dual instances of Prime95, as outlined in my sticky. After you've done that, you can do good, total-system stability testing by running two instances of Prime95, one instance of BurnInTest, and one instance of 3DMark2003. That combination will bring your system to its knees, but if it can finish 3DMark2003 and the 15 minute BurnInTest, while running two Prime95's, and nothing shows any errors... you're stable.

Back