• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 or Athlon64 mobile?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Hey all! I'm just really itching to build a new system this summer for some odd reason, I guess my rig right now isn't cutting it. Looking into all the upgrades lined up on both the Intel side and AMD side, it looks like AMD is losing the war pretty damn bad. Right now Intel amazingly is serving the best bang for the buck. I was thinking about either upgrading to a socket478 system or a socket754 system. It looks like right now even though AMD has the new socket939 out and Intel will have socket775, prices for the cpus are ganna be over $400 dollars for quite some time, which is way out of my range. So ill settle with s487 or s754 until prices go down maybe 200-300 bucks? next summer. I really dont know a ton about P4's, except the northwoods are better for ocing than the prescotts and A64-m are better than the desktop ones. I just dont know if I should get s487 or s754? What chip from either side has the best bang for the buck? What P4 is the best overclocker, and how does it compare to the A64 3000 mobile. I havnt heard much about ocing A64-m's but I've heard that most P4 2.8c's? can reach higher than 3.2ghz. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :beer:

System right now:
Antec True 430w
Athlon XP2500 @ 12.5x333 (SLK-6 w/90mm fan)
A7N8X non-deluxe v1.06
Corsair 512 PC2700LL
80 gig hd
9800 non-pro

(Can't reach 400fsb with the XP2500 because of the motherboard and only ddr333 memory.)

The intel 2.4C and 3.0C are tied for the best bang-for-the-buck P4s. Those two processors overclock fantastically. Look for one with the stepping of SL6WU, as these seem to overclock better on average than the other steppings.

Ok, thanks a lot. If I consider going for a A64 system, is it even worth it to go from s754 to s939 next year?

Back