• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I install knoppix if I don't have a CD burner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MRD

Self explanatory. Is there a way to do a combo floppy/network install?

It would be harder than installing Debian from a couple of bootable floppies, if you could even do it. Have you considered swapping in a CDROM just for the installation?

I have a CDROM drive, the problem is I don't have a burner... i.e. I can't make the CD's from the images.

Debian has a nice little net install where you only need to make a few floppies and it downloads as it goes.

There is a sort of kludgy way to do it with gentoo using Fedora boot disks as well. I'm working on a gentoo install too for kicks. =p

I have always used red hat in the past and done a very generic install from the store bought package. I want to play with some other distros some and get more of an idea how linux actually works.

There are a few members here who offer CD Burning service for people who have Dialup. This would work in your case too. Check the stickies at the top of the Alt OS forum for the thread:D

Back