• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EDO SIMM Longevity at 100 Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukiedog

I am putting together a K6-2-500 system from parts for a charity and the best memory I can come up with is 2x64MB Edo (double sided w/ 4 chips per side). The bus is set at 100 Mhz for this board, a jetway 542b, and it does have a number of other settings, maybe 92, 83, 75, 66 (hard to read). The board runs well with the no name memory now, but I am wondering if I should clock down the system to 83 and use a 5.5 multiplier (max) to ensure it runs ok longterm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If it runs ok now, I don't think it will suddenly fail in the future. I've run EDO at 83 MHz for years with no problems. You could run memtest86 for a while to see if any problems come up.

If you really feel nervous about it, you could always run it a 6x83=500. Set the board multiplier at 2x, and the K6-2 will read it as 6x. It will lose a little performance, but not too serious.

Back