• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to purchase a mobile 3200, advice PLEASE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thecalmingapple

Well,

Sometime last week I got into a conversation with gauntum about a64s and he convinced me that a mobile 3200 is the way to go right now. Before purchasing my first hard earned paycheck on one, I would like some more opinions. Here is my list of questions:

1. Is there a chance of better chips(with the same overclockability) coming out soon?
2. Is their any chance the chip wont work with certain mobos?

Thecalmingapple said:
Well,

Sometime last week I got into a conversation with gauntum about a64s and he convinced me that a mobile 3200 is the way to go right now. Before purchasing my first hard earned paycheck on one, I would like some more opinions. Here is my list of questions:

1. Is there a chance of better chips(with the same overclockability) coming out soon?
2. Is their any chance the chip wont work with certain mobos?

yes it will not work direct into the Chaintech NF3 250 non GB as I know a user who had to bios flash via a desktop chip first.

As far as I know of better chips coming out, I figure overclocking is also partly luck of the draw,but from what I have read here in the amd cpu forum by some knowledgeable peeps seems to be that CG revision is a gooder.

I think you will be happy but personally why not get the 3000 mobile and save some cash?

CK

Well I wasn't sure if they were like the socket A mobiles(2400 as good as 2500,2600,etc.) so I figured it would be insurance to pick up the 3200. Any info on if the 3000 overclocks the same as the 3200?

Bar81-Thanks ALOT for that article.

np. Just remember that you don't get the 10x multiplier with the 3000 which is why most people, including myself, settled on a 3200+

Yes, I just noticed that. The 3200 will most likely be my choice for my next system, unless a cg core 3400 dtr becomes available soon? Whats the price of the non-cg 3400 and will the cg version cost more? Is the price to performance ratio make the chip worth it over the 3200?

And is there any news on new motherboards working with the mobiles/dtrs? (like the new gigabytes,etc)? I will probably be purchasing the chip first and waiting for the best performing/reliable/feature-full motherboard.

Past the 3200+ you're just wasting money, the 10x multiplier should be plenty to hit the limits of any A64 chip with aircooling. As of right now those are the only boards confirmed to work. The MSI K8N Neo and the Asus K8N-E are two that have a good chance to make the list.

Bar81 said:
np. Just remember that you don't get the 10x multiplier with the 3000 which is why most people, including myself, settled on a 3200+

Apart from the overclockability between a 3000+ CG ClawHammer and a 3200+ CG ClawHammer, what is the target FSB setting you would set to max out an A64 CPU on air.

And is the 9x multi going to hurt? I got 320MHz HTT to work for several hours, but I was just messing around, so I didn't test for stability, but the architecture lends itself to allowing very high HTT's. Maxvla got 316MHz stable, though, IIRC. That's 2844MHz with a 9x multi, not very likely for you to get close to that without phase-change. I've seen a couple past 350MHz as well.

We have discussed extensively about x8, x9 and x10 multipliers for mobile A64 on air.

We found x8 is not enough to max out a CPU. But x9 suffices. x10 is needed for high end water cooling and extreme cooling.

This is apart from the overclockability between a 3000+ and a 3200+.

Does anyone have proof that 350+ doesn't work fine? I can't test because the lowest LDT multiplier available to me is 2x, and the highest HT speed my board can take is around 675, which caps me out at about 335. I think that the 250's should be able to handle much, much, higher HTT's, but there's no evidence either way, and I don't know anyone that has one.

Your 150 board as well as most 150 board max out the HT bus at 600 MHz, and have stability beyond that.

We now should look at in the context of 250, 250 GB boards which can run much higher HT bus to 800 - 1000 MHz, with a higher HT multiplier.

FSB setting 250 - 300 MHz
CPU 2.25 - 2.70 GHz, assuming a 3000+ with x9 multiplier
memory = CPU / x, where x is determined by whatever the memory can handle
HT bus = 750 - 900 MHz (with x3 when FSB setting is 250 - 300) or even x4 for lower FSB setting.

Too bad I don't have the hardware to play with but just talking.

I dont know about all that but have been try to get the DTR to work in my SN85G4 that doesnt support it.

I modded my bios and now have DTR & true mobile chips working but just now got that so Im not shure of the true mobile performance yet. I will post back.

What compatable motherboard would you reccomend for the mobiles?(with best performance/reliability/features) And is it worth waiting for these new boards from companies like DFI?

jess1313 said:
I dont know about all that but have been try to get the DTR to work in my SN85G4 that doesnt support it.

I modded my bios and now have DTR & true mobile chips working but just now got that so Im not shure of the true mobile performance yet. I will post back.

Good to know we have a bios mod expert here. :)

Are you able to mod any bios for the mobile A64?

No lets not go there this is my first time.

After trying to get someone to help with this for a long time I jumped in head first & am making progress with it a step at a time.

Still not stable yet at all.

IMHO the only reason to lower the multi on these chips is to compensate for a ram divider. I.E. if ya need to boot ram at 166, then drop multi to bring all up to a different level than if all started evenly. In order to get 250 HTT on CPU and 227,or 209 on ram. depending on what your ram does. Really high HTT doesn't do ya much since you need to drop it's multi every time it reaches it's cut off point. I have had better HTT overall speeds with a 2.5 multi over a 2 multi. But I cant confirm since the chip also was near it's limits when pushing over 320 HTT x2

d]g[ts said:
IMHO the only reason to lower the multi on these chips is to compensate for a ram divider. I.E. if ya need to boot ram at 166, then drop multi to bring all up to a different level than if all started evenly. In order to get 250 HTT on CPU and 227,or 209 on ram. depending on what your ram does. Really high HTT doesn't do ya much since you need to drop it's multi every time it reaches it's cut off point. I have had better HTT overall speeds with a 2.5 multi over a 2 multi. But I cant confirm since the chip also was near it's limits when pushing over 320 HTT x2

Assuming a 250, 250 GB board, are these possible scenarios:

Say CPU can do around 2500 MHz on air
So FSB set to 280, CPU = 280 x 9 = 2520 MHz

memory_cpu_ratio = 8, 9, 10, 11, ....
memory_bus = FSB x 9 / memory_cpu_ratio
For 8, memory bus = 315 MHz (unlikely)
For 9, memory bus = 280 MHz (possible with good memory)
For 10, memory bus = 252 MHz (very possible with DDR500 or oc equivalent)
For 11, memory bus = 229 MHz (almost certain any good 3200/3500 memory)

Back