• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows locking up upon logging in!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicoritschel

Registered
I am currently helping my friend's dad with his dell inspiron 5100 laptop because he had a virus, so I reformatted and reinstalled windows xp. I installed windows updates, video, network, chipset, and touchpad drivers. Whenever I open any program or evem a folder, windows locks up without starting the program and the cursor shows that it is busy until I move the cursor to the taskbar. I can't use the start menu, ctrl alt delete, or alt f4. I can do anything in safe mode, though. I don't think he wants to use safe mode all the time and I want to get this problem resolved. Is there any other driver or any piece of software that I am missing? BTW: he threw away the driver CDs that came with his laptop. Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

Does it start doing that at the initial boot after install, or after adding all the drivers?

It locked up after installing the drivers. Should I rollback the drivers??? Thanks!

-Nico Ritschel

Best way to find out what is causing the problem, even though its time-consuming, is to add the drivers in one at a time. Eventually, you can determine which one is the cause of the problem. You may also be able to find completely updated drivers that solve the problem(or revert to older ones that work OK)

Back